• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Low pinion ratios

chris_amrein

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this has been covered but I need to know if a 5.38 R&P is available for XJ low pinion Dana 30's. I know HP Dana 30's stop at 4.88, and I know CJ Dana 30's went to 5.38, but I don't know if CJ LP 30's are different than XJ LP 30's. In other words, can I use the old CJ 5.38 gears in a XJ Dana 30? Hopefully that makes some sense.

FWIW, the back story here is I have built a HP Dana 30 for my Jeepspeed project and have yet to gear it however I know I am limited to 4.88's. I really want to run something in the 5.38 neighborhood so my HP 30 is kind of a problem. I would be willing to sacrifice some strength in the form of a LP axle if I could get the 5.38's since for me a front axle is really just going to get used if I get stuck.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Ha!!! That axle sounds great!!! Why would you ever want to get rid of that thing???

So 4.88's are the limit even with the LP? I think I'm going to be bummed out if I try to run 4.88's...

You could re-tube a Toyota 8" like Shaffer does and run 529's. Housing should be easy enough to find and it's 30 spline. You can use Rubicon shaft length's.
Your gonna hate 488's for sure.

I talked to Shaffer and thought about going the Toyota route or even turning around a Samurai rear axle and adding XJ outers but the reality is both those options are a lot of work.

Guess I'll sleep on it for now. Thanks for the info.

Back