• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle assm. and u joint

I had a front u-joint failure in Sedona. Pulled the inner axle, stuck the stub shaft in, stuffed a rag in the tube and drove all the way home.

I had a front u-joint failure in Sedona. Pulled the inner axle, stuck the stub shaft in, stuffed a rag in the tube and drove all the way home.

been there and done that, i put the rag in a grocery bag and jammed it in the tube. Then sledge hammered the ball joint back in. Got me off the trail, and onto the back of a flat bed for the 5 mile tow home. Just a tid bit, if this happens to you, go ahead and replace the axle seals while you got things half way apart...

John
HandBuiltXJ

how many different u joints are there for the front axle shafts? i know of the 297 but i have heard of other ones. i think it is 567 or 760 but not sure. what are the differences between them? they all fit the 30 shafts? i never replaced one. but i do know i need the passenger side replaced on mine so i might as well learn now.

been there and done that, i put the rag in a grocery bag and jammed it in the tube. Then sledge hammered the ball joint back in. Got me off the trail, and onto the back of a flat bed for the 5 mile tow home. Just a tid bit, if this happens to you, go ahead and replace the axle seals while you got things half way apart...

John
HandBuiltXJ

I just had to comment on this post didn't I. Guess what I just found under my rig. Yup, snapped it again..... This thread is a jinx...

john
HandBuiltXJ

So here it is.

IMAG0331.jpg

So this prompeted some much needed painting..

Before

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

After.

IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0357.jpg

Just got the drop brackets on. Waiting for the ball joints. Got the knuckles looking better. Any advice on getting the old Ball joints out??? PITA!!

That ujoint isnt even spicer, more like a cheapo kragen? Autozone?

I have no clue. But the hubs were on so dam tight, I almost broke the 5-ton gear puller getting them off. Not sure if they're stock or what. The PO had this jeep on 24 inch gold spoke rims with 4, 15" woofers in the trunk. Leads me to believe that it never saw dirt...until I bought it. Now it barely see's pavement... So I'm not sure if he would have had the u-loints replaced.

Be assured i'm getting the newer YJ, TJ, ZJ axle's from the JY, then rebuilding with the Alloy USA x-joints. This little mishap won't be happening again.

Why rebuild the J/Y shafts? They dont seem to last more than a year anyway, plus a complete shaft costs about the same as a new u-joint. Carry spares/tools and just swap them as they break.

Also use some never sieze on the stub shaft splines and hub mating surface, makes it easy the next time

Well the X-joints....as they're called... are only about $50 each. Plus the bigger axle shafts. Doesn't sound too bad. And yes. I will getting more than two each..lol If I can find em.

The chromo shafts and axle kits are muey $$.. Which I don't have. Hense the JY axles..

And thank you. I will definitely be using some never seize. This was a PITA.

Peacefrog53
Have you found the shaft yet? I have completed inner and outer that removed from D30 disc after I upgraded to chromo shaft. Let me know if you still need them.

So did you use any tricks to get the hub & BJ out?

I've found Liquid Wrench helps a bit.

A BFH. Thats all I used...and some WD40.

Peacefrog53
Have you found the shaft yet? I have completed inner and outer that removed from D30 disc after I upgraded to chromo shaft. Let me know if you still need them.

I got them at the 1/2 off sale for $12.50 each. Talk about a steal How much do you want for em? I could always use an extra set.

Last edited:
Back