• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

damn starters...

5-90 said:
I haven't dealt with the later models yet (RENIX was nice - 5/8" wrench and it comes off!) but I see no reason why you couldn't get a floor jack, support the engine, and take the through bolt out the the right side engine mount. Then, you can raise or lower the engine (just a bit!) to get a little more room.

It's also been done where you get a two-part T60 socket, remove the bit, and fix it to a regular wrench somehow (usually, you can find a 6-point wrench that fits the hex shank.) Then, grind or cut the length of the bit to fit in the space - it's work, but not as much as lifting the engine!

The o-rings are easiest from the dealer - I don't have measurements on them yet, and "hardware store" O-rings aren't the greatest for oil resistance.

I do highly suggest lightly greasing the O-rings before you bolt it all back down - especially the one on the through bolt! Also, take the time to clean the threads in the block before you put things back together - there are few things more purely irritating than breaking that damn bolt... It's definitely OEMR only, and I haven't gotten around to designing a suitable replacement for it yet (with a hex head...)

Bear in mind that the droids at Pep Boys (not the one on Stevens Creek, is it?) aren't exactly the swiftest - for starters, compression goes DOWN with age, not UP. And, the only time the starter is engaged electrically is when current is applied to the small solenoid terminal - if it was always on, it would be noisy as Hell! An electrical test/compression test won't help much (and regular 4.0 starters seem to have a very good service life working with strokers - which can run up to 10.5:1 compression! OEM compression is somewhere around 8.8 - 8.9:1, so no trouble there.)

I'd just make sure the "droid" who sold you that story isn't there when you take the thing in.

Oh - check the valve cover for leaks down that side as well - that's the "oil return" side, and will usually leak first. See my advice earlier on changing the gasket.

5-90
I thought of taking out the bolt and using floor jack but the jack that we had had a leak (hydrolic fluid) and I didn't want to risk anything. I'm on a mission to look for that 2 piece T60. I did read your earlier comments...thank you. I will keep that in mind. The 'droid' that I was talking about are from the Union City Pep Boys. And YES! I will not forget the valve cover....thanks for that too.

Calata said:
Why can't you cut up a piece of skinny aluminum or sheet metal from Home Depot and make it a 'hat'? Wrap it over the top half of the starter and zip tie it in place.
I was thinking of doing that as well. But won't the oil just find its way and ooze down and in between? It's worth a try though.

langer1 said:
You can seal the new one very easy and keep even water out.

How do I go about doing that?

Thanks all for your knowledge and help. It'll be a couple of days 'til I get to the starter. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes. Thanks again!

Back