• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daily driver choice (bring on the rice)

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
so as im looking for a daily driver for my next years in college. i figured that the 12mpg that my jeep on 35's gets wouldnt cut it for next year driving close to 60-80 miles a day.

Since im a car nut i can't settle for something that i'll leave stock. i was planning on slowly making a sleeper tuner car. nothing riced out but a fun car to drive.

My top choice right now it a 2003 Lancer OZ rally
2.0 i4 engine, very reliable and plenty of aftermarket.

here are some other choices i had in mind
VW jetta
Acura integra

i was hoping for something with room cause im 6'3" and so the lancer seemed like a good choice with 4 door and a good size trunk

what you guys think?
any comments or sugestion would be really appreciated!
and pictures would be really cool!!

I get 30+mpg in my 2000 celica gt-s, fun car to drive. Little tight though, Im about 6' and it borders on snug for me. Huge trunk, and a quick car with a good driver. Poor aftermarket though it is growing.

If you are looking into an Acura, check out the RSX type S. Vtec 2.0, HUGE aftermarket. Slightly roomier than my Celica, not quite as good handling but close enough.

I hear good things about the new WRXs as well, not sure of gas mileage though.

httpmembers.tripod.comcharger_rt69.jpg

I had an 02' Lancer oz Ralley ed. Slapped a turbo on it .. hauled pretty good for it was only stock motor boostin 7 psi.. If you go that route and have questions let me know.

hey i got a buddy who just made the best sleeper ever.. geo metro with a 1st gen RX7 motor tranny and rear axle.. pretty much a direct swap since both cars have VERY SMALL engine compartments and since the metro weighs NOTHING its insane.

I've always liked the Jettas. We were going to get the wife one till she decided that she wanted to get her own lifted XJ (lucky me) :)
The only thing I'd say is stay away from the 95 jettas since thats the first year they were made in Mexico. I figure the Mexicans didn't know how to read german at first (or maybe the germans couldn't speak spanish?) :dunno: But other than that they were supposed to be ok after 95.

Our Volvo S60 gets really good gas mileage, lots of room... at 6ft 1, the drivers seat goes back further than I need it to. Huge trunk. The inline 5-banger with turbo has plenty of torque as well us upper end grunt. Just food for thought. BTW, I do not like the S40, too small- and I do not think the lines are as clean.

Dodge neon. Cheap, reliable, great fuel economy, and fast. One of the best handling cars out there and lots of options to make big power. That's what I want to get. Show them rice boys how it's done.

Neon in the same sentence as fast and best handling?

If you want a neon get a srt-4... The only fwd the STI guys are scared of :D

srimes said:
Dodge neon. Cheap, reliable, great fuel economy, and fast. One of the best handling cars out there and lots of options to make big power. That's what I want to get. Show them rice boys how it's done.

rice is rice !!!1 It don't matter where it's grown.

Trickin' out a neon to show up some guy's tricked out honda and calling him a ricer is...jeese, I can't even think of a word for it...

oh! I know. It's...

lastara no offense, but it had to be said :D

DrMoab said:
X---Oh I don't know..at least four billion.

Rice is for Stir Fry.

Another option :D

1965-Dodge-Charger-II-Rear.jpg

2003 Jetta GLI. Bad ass car, wicked fast, but I only get 27mpg with it. It's really hard to keep that thing slow; V6, 200 hp, 6 fwd gears, front wheel drive...its a blast. If I were using it for gas mileage, I'd get the 1.8T. Definately not as fast, but better on mileage.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

any more lancer owner here?
thats what i have my heart set at sense i actually like the 02-03
i can pick up a nice OZ rally edition for way under 5 ( im in the car business)

i would love a wrx but they sure are pricey.

i love how jettas drive and perform but the looks could use some help in my opinion.

no neon! sorry just dont like them.

thanks
cas

oh and btw if you go this route, for some reason the design on the RPW turbo kit has the worst most horrible design for an intake from the turbo known to man. I have no idea what they were thinking but, its made to suck up puddles like a vaccuuuuummm man, if you do decide to get a turbo, and if you do decide to get a lancer, Make your OWN air intake for the turbo Pm me if you got any more questions

If getting a base lancer and you want a car that moves, you are going to at least need to turbo it. Just in case you want to factor that in vs. a stock turbo car.

Back