• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Aussie locker install

Heres a pic of the new locker

locker001.jpg

So I've been reading up on the Aussie Lockers and am readying to make the leap.

One thing I have not seen is what you guys are paying for them. Come to think of it, where are you getting them too?

Thanks,

Eric

My Dana 30 and 44 Aussie lockers are going to show up anyday. I know that I could install them, but my wife and 3 small kids hate the 8+ hours of neglect it will take to do so. A local shop here (SLC) quoted me $280 + lube/shop supplies for both axles. Good price? I wonder if I Can trust them or should I just do it myself so there is no wondering??? They seem to be a reputable shop.

Thats a smoking deal IMO. I paid about 380 to have my front locker installed. It was a thursday before a weekend wheeling trip and I didn't want to mess with it myself. But I did get rid of a tru-trac and so that added labor and he supplied the carrier. Not to bad for a drive in drive out deal.

My Dana 30 and 44 Aussie lockers are going to show up anyday. I know that I could install them, but my wife and 3 small kids hate the 8+ hours of neglect it will take to do so. A local shop here (SLC) quoted me $280 + lube/shop supplies for both axles. Good price? I wonder if I Can trust them or should I just do it myself so there is no wondering??? They seem to be a reputable shop.

If it takes you 8+ hours to install two lunchbox lockers, you don't know what you're doing or are planning on tending to other major issues. I can't fathom paying someone to install one.......there's nothing to it! Especially the combo you have! You won't even have to fart around with c-clips! That's what takes most of my time when I tear apart my 8.8.

If it takes you 8+ hours to install two lunchbox lockers, you don't know what you're doing or are planning on tending to other major issues. I can't fathom paying someone to install one.......there's nothing to it! Especially the combo you have! You won't even have to fart around with c-clips! That's what takes most of my time when I tear apart my 8.8.

Gonna have to take the RG off for the D44

Actually, after reading his write up I think I will do it myself. The pictures are really excellent.

Where is the best place to buy new ring gear bolts? Also, would it make sense to change out the inner axle seals at the same time?

Actually, after reading his write up I think I will do it myself. The pictures are really excellent.

Where is the best place to buy new ring gear bolts? Also, would it make sense to change out the inner axle seals at the same time?

i got ring gear bolts at my local speed/hotrod shop.

i went to many auto parts stores and fastener stores in my area( south east PA) without success and finally went to the local speed shop 2 miles from my house and they had bags and bags of ring gear bolts.

not sure what you have in your area, but speed/hotrod shops sell lots of r&p sets.

i got ring gear bolts at my local speed/hotrod shop.

i went to many auto parts stores and fastener stores in my area( south east PA) without success and finally went to the local speed shop 2 miles from my house and they had bags and bags of ring gear bolts.

not sure what you have in your area, but speed/hotrod shops sell lots of r&p sets.

that or find the independently owned chain stores those ones usually carry more than the company owned stores, you can also order anything you need gear wise from randys R&P http://www.ringpinion.com/

that or find the independently owned chain stores those ones usually carry more than the company owned stores, you can also order anything you need gear wise from randys R&P http://www.ringpinion.com/

i always go to a locally owned autoparts stores before chain stores. i have a few in my area that can get me just about anypart for my renix.

i only buy online if i have to, i like going to the local stores/shops so i can bs with the owner or in most cases at these local independant stores the parts guys are very good at getting the parts.

i always go to a locally owned autoparts stores before chain stores. i have a few in my area that can get me just about anypart for my renix.

i only buy online if i have to, i like going to the local stores/shops so i can bs with the owner or in most cases at these local independant stores the parts guys are very good at getting the parts.

They're local to Joe and I. Randy's that is.

They're local to Joe and I. Randy's that is.

yup, I call them order stuff and pay less in shipping than it would cost in gas/time to drive 30 minutes to their place. Everything is next day for me with them.

I'll jump into this thread too. I just installed an aussie into my MJ ... dana 30 with a CAD. Here is what I learned:

1) The ring gear is too thick to remove the cross shaft with the carrier still in the housing. The carrier has to come out and the ring gear has to come off.
2) My 1987 dana 30 with a CAD has a c-clip on the pass. side shaft (the inner one). It is 100% impossible to (without altering the ring gear) install the locker and keep the c-clip. You have two options. A) grind off a few teeth from the ring gear - then, in order, do the following ... put the carrier in (with ring gear on), push the pass. side inner axle shaft in, install the c-clip, install the locker, put the cross shaft in (it will fit past the ring gear now that some teeth are ground down), and button it all up. B) Leave the c-clip off - thats what I did. I don't think that shaft is gonna move anywhere.
3) To move the pass. side axle shaft so you can pull the carrier, you must pull the outer shaft, remove the inner shaft C-clip from inside the carrier, open up the CAD, pull out the collar, reach in and slide the inner shaft out about four inches.

Once I figured out how to deal with the c-clip issue, this was a pretty easy install.

I'll jump into this thread too. I just installed an aussie into my MJ ... dana 30 with a CAD. Here is what I learned:

1) The ring gear is too thick to remove the cross shaft with the carrier still in the housing. The carrier has to come out and the ring gear has to come off.
2) My 1987 dana 30 with a CAD has a c-clip on the pass. side shaft (the inner one). It is 100% impossible to (without altering the ring gear) install the locker and keep the c-clip. You have two options. A) grind off a few teeth from the ring gear - then, in order, do the following ... put the carrier in (with ring gear on), push the pass. side inner axle shaft in, install the c-clip, install the locker, put the cross shaft in (it will fit past the ring gear now that some teeth are ground down), and button it all up. B) Leave the c-clip off - thats what I did. I don't think that shaft is gonna move anywhere.
3) To move the pass. side axle shaft so you can pull the carrier, you must pull the outer shaft, remove the inner shaft C-clip from inside the carrier, open up the CAD, pull out the collar, reach in and slide the inner shaft out about four inches.

Once I figured out how to deal with the c-clip issue, this was a pretty easy install.

When I did mine I just pushed the inner pass. side shaft inward with the outer shaft, popped the c-clip off and then slid it back out enough to get the carrier out. And I didn't put that c-clip back in either...I don't know why they have it there.

Back