• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting stock springs

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
the rig
98XJ 4.0 AW4 242 D30 8.25

since ive built lifted wheelin rigs in the past and i dont want to wheel this one ive decided to turn it into a street queen, im considering cuttin half a ring off the frt coils only lookin for a inch drop, any idea how much it will actually get me? i know it will stiffin up the spring a lil, thanks

really depends on the condition of the coils. but i think your on the right track going half a ring at a time. if you end up taking too much off, stock TJ springs should lose an inch for you.

and rear ZJ or WJ springs should be a drop as well... how much, idk.

Ghetto.

But it's not gonna stiffen up the springs. They have the same rate whether you cut off half a coil or 2 coils. If anything I'd think they would soften because you're now putting more stress on less of a spring. It'll act like your rig is weighted down

A coil spring is essentially a long torsion bar wound into a coil shape. Long torsion bar = softer, short torsion bar = stiffer. The springs stiffen slightly when cut.

I don't have a stock coil in front of me, but from memory, I think somewhere around 3/4 to 1 coil should give you about an inch drop.

A coil spring is essentially a long torsion bar wound into a coil shape. Long torsion bar = softer, short torsion bar = stiffer. The springs stiffen slightly when cut.

I don't have a stock coil in front of me, but from memory, I think somewhere around 3/4 to 1 coil should give you about an inch drop.

What? Only if you have a variable rate spring. Otherwise, the spring still has the same spring rate constant ("k" if you want to venture back to highschool phyiscs) and will act just like the old spring, just scaled smaller.

I picked up some rear ZJ springs at the JY for $20 and sometime next week I'll see how it stands compared to the custom 2" lower springs I had in there. Whatever doesn't get used will get put on the eliminator.

im considering cuttin half a ring off the frt coils only lookin for a inch drop, any idea how much it will actually get me? i know it will stiffin up the spring a lil, thanks

Are they stock coils? I can't say how much for sure, but it is something I've considered for my 2wd street queen. The stock springs are too soft for me anyway.
And yes, cutting coils increases the spring rate for any coil.

Don't cut the coil. Heat up the lower section of the coil with a torch or map gas. Try to heat the coil slowly over a 4-6" section to prevent a stress point in the coil. Simply watch the rig drop and stop heating when you've acheived your drop. Try marking your shocks for a visual of the drop your shooting for so you'll end up with an even drop.

cutting coils DOES increase the spring rate. i've had people argue with me about this quite a few times. this is an excerpt from directly from Eaton Spring, explains it pretty well.
Cutting coils does increase the spring rate. Let me explain why. The strength of a spring, leaf or coil is a function of the cube of the steel used. Keeping with the subject of your question, coil springs, the diameter of the wire and the length of the wire will give us the amount of steel used. For this whole discussion we will be talking about springs with the same wire diameter and the same inside diameter. The only thing that will change will be the length of the wire used to wind the spring. The longer the wire is the lower the spring rate. As the wire get shorter, such as when cutting the coil, the spring rate increases. So everyone has a clear understanding lets describe what "rate" is. Rate is the amount of weight it takes to deflect a spring one-inch. A very common mistake is to think that spring rate is how much a spring supports. How much weight a spring is designed to support is called "Load" or "Designed Load" or"Load Rate". This is cover in Spring Tech 101. Rate and Load Rate are two totally different animals. The calculation to find the rate of a coil spring is: 11,250,000 times the wire diameter to the 4th power divided by 8 times the active number of turns times the mean diameter cubed. Active turns are the number of turns of the spring that do not touch anything. Any part of the coil which makes contact with anything becomes inactive, that is it no longer functions as part of the spring. The mean diameter is the inside coil diameter plus one wire thickness. Or the outside coil diameter less one wire thickness. Let's say for example a 1967 Mustang GT front spring is made from .610 wire and has an inside diameter of 3.875" and has a free height of16.145" (not installed) and is deflected down to 10.5" (load height) when loaded to 1,519 Lbs. (load rate) This spring has a spring rate of 269 Lbs. This spring has 9.33 total coils but 1.33 coils touch the spring seat so they are inactive leaving 8 active turns. (I know this from the Ford blue print). The mean diameter is 3.875 + .610 (The inside is the important diameter because it is the inside of the spring which is used to locate the spring on the corresponding suspension parts. The outside diameter is not considered because it will change with a change of wire diameter) Do the math- 11,250,000 x (.610 x .610 x .610 x .610) / 8 x 8 active turns x (4.485 x 4.485 x 4.485) = 269 Lbs. Double check the math - 16.145 - 10.5 = 5.645 deflection. 1,519/5.645 = 269 Now if we cut say 1/2 turn off this spring the active turns become 7.5. So 11,250,000 x (.610 x .610 x .610 x .610) / 8 x 7.5 x (4.485 x 4.485 x 4.485) = 287 Lbs. While the rate is increased the load is unchanged. Rate is the amount of weight required to deflect the spring one-inch while load is the amount of weight the spring will support at a given height. Cutting coils is limited to those types which have tangential ends. Tangential ends are those which spiral off into space. If you tried to stand the spring on end it would fall over. Square ends and pigtail ends, both will stand up, and can not be cut because the finished product will not mount correctly in the suspension. See this tech question on Cutting Coil Springs for a more complete explanation. When altering ride height one must be aware of much more than just the springs. Brake lines, steering, shock length and other areas of interference. We do not offer coil springs which will alter any ride height more than 2-inches. Nor do we recommend anyone alter the ride height more than 2-inches. While we have all sorts of springs which will vary ride height, spring rates and ride quality on the shelf, cutting coils maybe, in some cases, the only way to achieve the desired stance one is looking for.

Last edited:
My personal experience: I had used and abused 5.5 inch Rubicon Express springs I cut one half of a turn and it lowered approx 1 inch----hope it helps-- Justin

thanks for the input everyone, but i deceded to lift this one

Back