• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Curious Sounds

FIREBLADE

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 w/ the 5.5 RE lift and 6 in coils with coil spacers and custom shackles in the rear. I also have a rear detroit locker and JKS quick discos in the front. 33 in AT's. I have quite a few interesting sounds that are coming from both the rear and front of the Jeep. It has always had a couple interesting sounds but after a few visits lately to Florence Junction in AZ the sounds have intensified and a few are new. These are the major issues.

In the rear, both on my stock shackles and custom built ones (I thought these new ones would solve this sound), everytime I hit a certain type of bump on the road, it sounds like the rear is falling off. It is definitely a loud thud sound. The type of bump is anything like a small speed bump where both the tires go over at the same time.

In the front, anytime I hit any small little crack or bump in the road (Tucson has really crappy, unmaintained roads) the front seems to rattle on the side the bump was on. I checked the discos and they seem to be pretty tight and non-rattleable.

Also in the front lately, when I crank the wheel medium-hard any direction a sound comes from the side that I'm turning to (ie I turn drivers side the sound comes from drivers side). It sounds like its coming from the wheel area but I can't really check it while i'm driving.

The reason I ask is because looking at the previous owners records, dealerships that he brought this to were unable to answer the complaints. Also, its hard for me to get under my jeep for any significant amount of time to go and diagnose every bolt blindly before I even have an idea about possible causes. Any previous similiar experiences or help would be greatly appreciated. And yes I know lifted jeeps never sound like stock, but I'd like to catch a possible problem before it breaks on the trail.
Thanks and i'll post pics of my steering when I get home.

Last edited:
FIREBLADE said:
In the rear, both on my stock shackles and custom built ones (I thought these new ones would solve this sound), everytime I hit a certain type of bump on the road, it sounds like the rear is falling off. It is definitely a loud thud sound. The type of bump is anything like a small speed bump where both the tires go over at the same time.
Check your shock bushings and shocks

In the front, anytime I hit any small little crack or bump in the road (Tucson has really crappy, unmaintained roads) the front seems to rattle on the side the bump was on. I checked the discos and they seem to be pretty tight and non-rattleable.
Check your shocks, your bushings, tre's, ball joints

Also in the front lately, when I crank the wheel medium-hard any direction a sound comes from the side that I'm turning to (ie I turn drivers side the sound comes from drivers side). It sounds like its coming from the wheel area but I can't really check it while i'm driving.
What kind of a sound?

Also, its hard for me to get under my jeep for any significant amount of time to go and diagnose every bolt blindly before I even have an idea about possible causes.
It's hard for us to give you an idea as to what's wrong with the jeep without being there and getting underneath and listening to it ;). Since it looks like most of your sounds are rattles/clunks, look at anything being loose. When it's sitting on the ground get underneath and grab all the components which have bushings or tre's and give them a good shake/pull. If it feels loose, inspect he component for wear/failure. You also should check the control arms amongst others.

Sounds like you may have the same problem I have. It may be your Shackle slamming up into the forward shackle mount. Not too sure how to fix this. I myself would like to know.

For the front, the first thing I would do is to get down there and make sure everything is torqued down. Things tend to rattle loose after wheeling. Especially if your lift is new.

The lift has been on there for a pretty long time but it just might be time to go and retorque it all down again in the front. As far as the shackle hitting the shackle box, at first it thought that but it would have to really flex alot to hit the shackle box. I mean it doesn't even hit when I'm wheeling. Mike from Kiatek in Tucson suggested the shackle might be hitting the exhaust pipe but it is at least about 3/4 in away. My custom shackles might have that much lateral movement but I know my stock shackles didn't have that much lateral movement and it made the same noise.

Back