• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruiser's RENIX diagnostics thread

cruiser--

my 89 mj stuttering issues--
i have done all the ground work and cleanup--that got me about 80% there. kept after it and kept getting more and more a little at a time. today i did cap and rotor and plugs. much better to drive!!
just wanted to shout THANKS for your posts and helpful docs.
i think now a tps re set and plug wires and my issues should be done. i think MOST of my engine smoothness issues are from bad cap and plugs with too many miles on them. but now i am working with KNOWN parts and performance.
thanks again !!

scott

Great to hear, Scott. I like your plan. Thanks for the kind words and enjoy your Renix!!

You did the sensor ground test, didn't you? And remember, test the TPS using the flat 3 wire connector. You know, the "engine" side. Please post back.

Cruiser-

I freshened up all of my ground contact points yesterday. I took the dremel with a wire brush head and went to town on EVERY contact point I know of, even the screws. Got everything down to fresh bare metal. I then cleaned with electrical cleaner, coated everything with dielectric grease and reassembled. I feel like everything runs a little better now. Lights are a little brighter. Voltage doesn't plummet as far with all of the accessories on.

Question 1 Are there any other grounds other than the following....
B- to alternator
B- to fender well
Engine strap to firewall
after market stereo amp to metal crossmember that the rear seat rests on
two wires that come out of the loom on the drivers side and screw into the fender well almost exactly opposite of the B- to fenderwell.

Question 2 Will doing the same to all of my positive terminal connections provide the same benefit?

I know upgrading the wires will help but, I'm really tight and trying to make the most of every FREE option I have. 96 country

Glad to hear of your success and you did a heck of a job. Since my area of most familiarity is Renix Jeeps, 87 to 90, I don't think I can advise you on ground locations for your 96. Hopefully someone else will chime in who has that knowledge. A visit to www.kelleyswip.com may glean you some info in the meantime.

Back