• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy vibration!!!

Have you checked out your u-joints lately? I got some grinding and clicking out of mine (particularly at low speed). Not saying thats your issue, but cant hurt to check anyway while your under the Jeep.

Have a friend pull up to that same curb where you found the issue before you were even moving. Have him pull up over the same curb as you did while you listen for where the sound is coming from (unless he is more mechanically inclined than you are, then have him listen :laugh:).

try pulsing the gas with it in gear and a foot on the brake. if it does it then, you've found the problem. this would be a busted mount somewhere. you should also pop the hood and do this same thing in drve and in reverse. if it's a motor mount, you'll be able to tell by how much the motor moves....

So, it does it while you're sitting still or moving, in gear. But, not when it's in neutral, t-case in neutral or under brake torque...

I wouldn't blame t-case or transmission internal components. Those parts aren't rolling when you're sitting still, why would they rattle? Flywheel and torque converter are spinning...maybe you could have a cracked flywheel. A possible sign of a cracked flywheel would be a rattle or ring upon start up. Rattle during cranking, ringing after the starter armature disengages. I would be checking the flywheel, exhaust for loose catalyst, loose heat shields, etc. Sounds like it's load related, sorta. More along the lines of frequency rattle. Once you get out of a certain rpm range it may go away. Kicking it sometimes just isn't enough to get the right frequency.

Ok this is when it happens.... Just to be clear!

1. When i take off from a start until about 25-30mph.
2. (If approach a brick wall with my front bumper). Then once touching it, if i apply the throttle it will make the vibration before the tires even start spinning.

This is when it doesnt happen.

1. Tranny nuetral
2. T-case nuetral
3. If i take off very slow
4. If i hold the brake and gas (burnout)

This is what doesnt effect the vibration

1. Turning while taking off.
2. New axle joints

Last edited:
2wd, 4hi, 4lo? what happens?
can you feel it, or just hear it? metal on metal?
could you post a video of the noise?

I used 4hi this weekend, i did notice the noise get a little more quite.

I can try to record it.. But i dont think your gonna be able to hear it because its not that loud, Its the vibration thats bad...

Alright, this is what you do. Get a buddy to crawl under your rig with a long handled screwdriver. You, in the cab, duplicate the noise while not moving. He puts the screwdriver on different components with the handle to his ear listening for the noise to be most prominent at a specific component.

When that is done and you've found the culprit, have a beer.

It's all good. Everyone is here to help. Well, almost everyone. Those other guys usually just make us point, laugh, slap ourselves in the forehead or shake our heads. And any combination thereof.

Try removing one drive shaft at a time and driving to narrow it down to one drive shaft or the other.

One of my friends has a huge tahoe, we went to silver lake sand dunes... He blew a rear u-joint and attempted to creep back to the trailer with just the front shaft. Well he gave it a little gas to make it up a little hill. And BOOOOOM went the t-case.

Would that happen to mine? How would it be any different?

Don't go up a little hill.

Edit: But seriously, take it easy when driving it. I've never heard of that happening before and I've known a few people to drive home in 4hi without their rear drive shafts without trouble. If you have 4 jackstands you can put it up off the ground and have it run without moving to try and get a better idea of things. Please don't do this stuff alone.

Last edited:
Back