• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting R12 to R134

it could, but no gaurantees.....

Generally, when they hit 20 yrs old, your lucky if the hold anything at all.....

I am very luckily, because my old ass R-12 system still blows somewhat cold......

1994 cherokee country -- purchased wrong compressor -- r134-a not r-12
Son Of A --- its currently in the dealership bay awaiting my orders ....
ug : ..
all i noticed was the Clutch front actually Broke - one of the three metal arms ? that are in front of the clutch --
Anyway i might just bring them the clutch for current compressor .. call it good
and get teh heck out of there ..

question -- does refrigiant have to be darined or discharged before replacing just the clutch on the ac compressor >> sanden 709T R-12 ( damnit ) .. new one is Sanden 709T R-134A ... can t afford the 1500 they want to get the right part for me ..and when ?

Ineed my Jeep Now to goto work ,.. ! :anon:

That would all depend on the compressor, but in most caes the system does not need to be discharged before replacing the clutch.

It's best to consult an AC shop for that one.....

:spin1: Thats where iom heading on monday -- local radiator/ac shop ..
purchasing new dryer as well to bring in .. and just gonna have em convert the system -- screw it -- better selling feature in long run --
well if it stays runnin ! haa

OH info -- Dealer wanted 800+ for compressor alone another 200+ for clutch -- on top of 350 est. on labor only -- and they were staying with R-12 so as not to replace hoses and such to save me some $$ --- haaa save me some $$ right ... bstrds --
I bought my compressor with clutch from a1compressors with nxtday air total = $320 brand new OEM !
Dealer wouldnt install my compressor -- they said it was r-134a .. it is but it can also be r-12 -- did not come with any OIL for either refrigerant installed .. so has ability to go either with simple change of connections to hose's ( retro fit ) -- Stay away from dealer service ! sealer parts = a Must if you own a grand wagoneer as i have in past .. !

thnx all !
:tear: JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket !

Last edited:
I did the Walmart conversion last summer and so far it's still working just fine here in AZ. I have a line on a working r134 compressor, hoses, and expansion block. I know enough to replace the drier and have a shop pull a vacuum before reloading the system. My question has to do with failure of the converted r12 compressor. Do they tend to be catestrophic? Should I buy and wait or buy and just do the swap. There's only about 8 weeks until I don't need the A/C and I'm having no problems. Also, should the A/C work better with the new compressor?

Thanks in advance for your help!

fwiw, I charged both my 1991's with the kit from advance. Works good to this day 2 years later. I did my comanche and it blew the high side line. Probably the expansion valve is clogged, Ill replace them both and try it again.

30vs400???

Ill try the $30 first anyday, worst case is that it ends up costing $430. Especially since this truck will be getting a full 134 system attached to my new stroker within a year

PuddinHead said:
Anybody know capacity of renix ac?

I am pretty sure it is about 40 - 42 Oz. They say to use 15% less R-134a in an R-12 retrofit, and I have been using 36 Oz of R-134a.

40 to 42 oz. should be pretty damn close.

Back