• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coming to a city near you.(Pretty soon, I bet)

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
I understand the concept of bikers wanting to be heard since they're hard to see, but a lot of harley riders do take it too far. Although my neighbor's Shelby Cobra would probably set it off too, but I love hearing that car drive by, sounds just awesome and he only drives it once every few weeks.

I don't think it's a bad idea, it's not invasion of privacy because it's on public roads, and is only enforcing laws already in existance. I'd actually rather have an unbiased device monitoring noise than a cop, since cops tend to target people they don't like, for example a cop might let a noisy bike drive by but stop my CJ5 because it's louder than a normal jeep and he doesn't like offroaders.

I wonder if overly loud rap music would set it off, I'd like to see those idiots get some tickets too

I'd actually rather have an unbiased device monitoring noise than a cop, since cops tend to target people they don't like, for example a cop might let a noisy bike drive by but stop my CJ5 because it's louder than a normal jeep and he doesn't like offroaders.

Prime example...

In highschool I had a 1967 VW Bug with a 2110cc engine with dual trumpet headers with half of the original baffles cut out. Needless to say, it was LOUD! Too loud.

I had a bunch of friends that rode really loud bikes to work each morning also. One morning we all ended up in a caravan headed to the school. Our school resource officer passed 3 extremely loud bikes just to pull me over in my bug. I got a $600 ticket and they got nothing.

He's also the same cop that wrote me a ticket for having one tire in a handicap spot while I was sitting in the drivers seat with it running. I had pulled up and was waiting on a car to move out of the way so I could park in a NON handicap spot. He wrote me a ticket for $275. He called me back into his office a week later and told me he'd made a mistake. The ticket was supposed to be for $475.

This guy didn't like me one damn bit.

I understand the concept of bikers wanting to be heard since they're hard to see,

I don't.

At speed you don't hear them until they're so close to you that it makes not a damn bit of difference. Then you hear them for the next five miles while they're in front of you.

"Loud pipes save lives" is every bit as much horses*** as "Seatbelts kill."

Personally my favorite phrase of the variety is "Loud pipes risk rights," we've seen that in action numerous times.

I don't.

At speed you don't hear them until they're so close to you that it makes not a damn bit of difference. Then you hear them for the next five miles while they're in front of you.

"Loud pipes save lives" is every bit as much horses*** as "Seatbelts kill."

Personally my favorite phrase of the variety is "Loud pipes risk rights," we've seen that in action numerous times.

I ride and I agree the loud pipes aren't noticeable until they are in front of you.

I also don't like these sorta of unmanned money makers though. I really don't see how accurate they can be either. If some harley with straight pipes is next to me when we pass by how can it tell us apart? Does it only ticket people when they are the only vehicle on the road?

I also don't like these sorta of unmanned money makers though.

Don't take my previous post as an endorsement for these devices. :scottm:

I'd hate to get popped on loud exhaust on my stock KLR650, hell when I get a new pipe for it I want as quiet as possible (but lighter than the OEM one).

I'd probably be okay with these things. I can't believe the number of douche-nozzles I see around here with straight pipes and ear plugs. The limits would have to be set reasonably, and if they could do that, and still nail the guys who have the loudest junk just to be annoying... that wouldn't suck.

Although my neighbor's Shelby Cobra would probably set it off too, but I love hearing that car drive by, sounds just awesome and he only drives it once every few weeks.

Ha, there's a guy just down the road with what I think is a Factory Five roadster, and it sounds phenomenal. I hate all of my other neighbors with brodozers and bikes with loud pipes, but he gets a free pass. He can probably afford the occasional ticket, so win/win I guess.

Last edited:
Loud bikes and diesels scare the chit outta my 6 month old daughter, especially when she falls asleep in the car.

It's such a heart wrenching face of sadness and being scared that I want to punch the driver in the baby maker.

I think some people take pipes/exhaust too far...To me it's like the 5'6" guy driving a truck that's got a 2 foot lift with 36" tires headed to the mall in his $300 jeans and neon sunglasses.

Lowrange... did you do something to the SRO daughter or what? He sure had it out for you.

Just as a side note, in Dallas some months back they had to shut the re-light cameras down (they were run by a private company contracted through the city) because they worked too well it seems.
People stopped running red lights to such an extent that they didnt make enough money any more. So i suppose that is an arguement that the cameras do in fact work.
I don't think its an invasion of privacy because it is on a public street. I just think it ought to target little ricers with fart-can mufflers. Of course thats me injecting bias like anyone else on the planet.
Stereos are annoying too but to target a car with a loud stereo would be tough it seems with the way the sound dissapates and also reverberates. I'm not an audio engineer though so what do i know.

They shut the red light cameras down here too. After everyone learned where not to run red lights it was costing them more in upkeep on the cameras then they were bringing in. I can remember sitting at an intersection one day and watching it take pictures of every single car that drove through the intersection. They had issues.

I loathe vehicles that are ridiculously loud. Around here we have rednecks with straight pipes on their stupid F150s and it's atrocious.

It's really not necessary - especially when it's so loud you have to roll up your own window.

my jeeps loud, but it has the quietest flowmaster you can get(50 series) and it still sets off car alarms and such, my dads jeep has two edelbrock mufflers right after his full length headers and its really loud too, but its hard to muffle 650hp, I think its a good idea but also bad idea

Have you heard a Corvette ZR1 on the road? 630 horses, not loud until you stomp on it. It's fully possible to muffle powerful cars, just most people don't want to.

Bigalpha I resent the remark about straight piped Fords! But then mine's an F250 and it's only temporary til I fix the exploding muffler issue and can put new mufflers on. :D That and it doesn't really get driven now...

my dads jeep has two edelbrock mufflers right after his full length headers and its really loud too, but its hard to muffle 650hp, I think its a good idea but also bad idea

two mufflers and full length tail pipes should keep it quiet enough to be legal.

650 is a pretty big number-- what's he got in that thing?

...Our school resource officer passed 3 extremely loud bikes just to pull me over in my bug. I got a $600 ticket and they got nothing.

He's also the same cop that wrote me a ticket for having one tire in a handicap spot while I was sitting in the drivers seat with it running. I had pulled up and was waiting on a car to move out of the way so I could park in a NON handicap spot. He wrote me a ticket for $275. He called me back into his office a week later and told me he'd made a mistake. The ticket was supposed to be for $475...
I still would have left a swirly on his hood.

Loud pipes save lives? I didn't know that I always believed loud pipes were just another attention whore screaming "Look at me!"

Noise camera just another loss of freedom.

I agree with boatwrench.

On a side note, here in California you can get a medical mary jane card if you have a hang nail or drop off any new born kid no questions asked at a fire station safe home yet the government regulates how much water my toilet can use. I'm not saying I'm for loud cars or I'm pro wasting water each time the toilet is flushed.

I guess the point I'm making is how far is to far for the government to micro manage everything?

Maybe when individuals can't manage themselves?

Yeah...I know its just a shame that individuals wont manage them selves anymore.

I don't know what its like any where else in the country but I know living in the Bay Area you can't tell anyone anything any more. It used to be the parents or neighbors of a noisy car like that to say "hey why don't you take it down a notch". But over here you just get told to F off or people will go to the extreme just to piss you off now, "I'll show him" kind of mentality. I'm not against enforcing some type of noise limit with in reason but I don't think cameras should be popping people all day. The way it is now is if a cop thinks your too loud they'll pull you over they can check and see if your over a certain decibel at a certain RPM. At least in Cali thats how it works.

Basically at what point does big brother stop creeping in small increments in our lives?

Back