• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

I built mine up to the bottom of the lower hinge. Basically removed the entire rocker and made supports down to frame rails. Rebuilt floor from 16ga. Cut about 3-4" from doors. I assume it would be similar ish on an mj. It was a crap ton of work but one of the most worth while things I did.

Cool, thanks for the info. How'd you cap the bottom of the door? Do you have frame stiffeners?

Cool, thanks for the info. How'd you cap the bottom of the door? Do you have frame stiffeners?

Yeah I have stiffeners. Honestly I never did cap the doors. I was going to add some pieces to support them but never got around to it. It's pretty low on the priority list. You do have to trim the window regulator a little to clear but it's nothing major.

I'm still thinking that xj is a bit heavy for the ori struts and when you have resevoirs and the level of on them its,a lot of leak possibilities beyond just the usual stuff that can already exist ... so I'm already thinking of possibly doing a 2 5 coilover in 14 maybe 16 and keeping the level it for the shocks since they work on anything with a Schrader valve ... or welding on some nice coil buckets into the strut towers and using a nice coil with dial rate and a real shocks at all 4 corners... lol... my rigs climbing ability right now isn't from the ori but rather the 120 wb and stickys ...lol... I just want to go wheeling not constantly trouble shoot things or fix leaks .

I'm still thinking that xj is a bit heavy for the ori struts and when you have resevoirs and the level of on them its,a lot of leak possibilities beyond just the usual stuff that can already exist ... so I'm already thinking of possibly doing a 2 5 coilover in 14 maybe 16 and keeping the level it for the shocks since they work on anything with a Schrader valve ... or welding on some nice coil buckets into the strut towers and using a nice coil with dial rate and a real shocks at all 4 corners... lol... my rigs climbing ability right now isn't from the ori but rather the 120 wb and stickys ...lol... I just want to go wheeling not constantly trouble shoot things or fix leaks .

Don't tear it apart just yet I might actually wheel this year and I need someone to go with. My junk is actually close. Me and the kid took it around the block a few times. It's only on some bald 33s but it's interesting with the 513s haha. I just gotta finish the cage, get the hydro assist going, traction bar and wheels and tires. It's close!

Don't tear it apart just yet I might actually wheel this year and I need someone to go with. My junk is actually close. Me and the kid took it around the block a few times. It's only on some bald 33s but it's interesting with the 513s haha. I just gotta finish the cage, get the hydro assist going, traction bar and wheels and tires. It's close!

5.13s and 33s... can you spin them almost at will ? I'm not doing anything drastic until fall ... but coil overs should bolt right up in place of the struts just would need to add bump stops.

Whats your plans for hydro assist?

Im nervous to drill and tap the steering box on my own... But much more nervous about dropping the coin a PSC box demands LOL

you only have to tap the steering box adjustment cap. you can get a 40$ part that replaced the steering gear cap which is already tapped. probably 200$ for everything, ram, hose, line, elbows for lines.

you only have to tap the steering box adjustment cap. you can get a 40$ part that replaced the steering gear cap which is already tapped. probably 200$ for everything, ram, hose, line, elbows for lines.

Ya I've seen that cap... Cool idea, But havent met anyone who has run it. The biggest flaw I see of the design is the line doesnt have room and clearence to the crossmember/ subframe has to be done to allow for the fitting and line.. Not a huge deal, but not very desirable on a (weak) unibody.
Another concern for me with that... Is, if it was that easy everyone would be doing it, ya? For instance why do all the aftermarket companies have the fittings where they do? Idk how much testing and science PSC utilized in the production of the unit they offer, but one would think the ports are put in those places for optimal flow? I could be wrong .. Just seems like the front of the box miggt not have the same pressure as where all the aftermarket boxes are tapped?

I really dig the cost effective ease of install design though, no doubt

Last edited:

It's looking like 14 inch 2.5 body dual rate Kings will in the short future unless I'm totally surprised the first few trips out after setting the struts back up ... I May send the struts back to ORI before I ditch them they may have an internal issue that causes their issues . It's easy to drop them off when in SLC ... I'm just really thinking the xj is pushing there performance envelope with weight for only 1 strut per corner , so 2.5 shocks will easily support he pig.

Pulled into a small truck stop this place is usually open 24hrs but I'm shut down now with no place to shit shower or eat ...why... because apparently the CORONA virus lurks in the dark and attacks the unsuspecting under the cloak of darkness after sundown... watch out Tommy the corona it's after 9pm and it's behind the dumpster it already got jack ...Run !!! . A lot of this pandemic reminds of emperors new clothes while I'm not saying it doesn't exist I am saying it's blown out of proportion and I've completely had it with hearing about it and all Bullshit around it .

Ya I've seen that cap... Cool idea, But havent met anyone who has run it. The biggest flaw I see of the design is the line doesnt have room and clearence to the crossmember/ subframe has to be done to allow for the fitting and line.. Not a huge deal, but not very desirable on a (weak) unibody.
Another concern for me with that... Is, if it was that easy everyone would be doing it, ya? For instance why do all the aftermarket companies have the fittings where they do? Idk how much testing and science PSC utilized in the production of the unit they offer, but one would think the ports are put in those places for optimal flow? I could be wrong .. Just seems like the front of the box miggt not have the same pressure as where all the aftermarket boxes are tapped?

I really dig the cost effective ease of install design though, no doubt

I'm not 100 percent but I bekieve with the system I'm talking about, you shouldn't use a bigger box. I'm guessing that's where psc steps in with more power by tapping it where they do. Also not a huge deal.

Watch tapping that steering box,the Kore-ohhhh-NAH ! might be hiding inside waiting to Getcha... it's crafty.

I'm not 100 percent but I bekieve with the system I'm talking about, you shouldn't use a bigger box. I'm guessing that's where psc steps in with more power by tapping it where they do. Also not a huge deal.

One just has to wonder... Alll the folks who have tapped the box on a diy hyrdo assist setup. . and none thought to tap the easily removable cap? I could see less pressure up there, and thatd be an isaue with the ram doin what its needed for.

Do you have this setup? Or know someone who does?

Whats your plans for hydro assist?

Im nervous to drill and tap the steering box on my own... But much more nervous about dropping the coin a PSC box demands LOL

I drilled and tapped the box a few years ago in prep for this. I did mine on the side, not on the cap. I had aspare box that needed rebuilt so did it all at the same time. The only issue I had was a needed to cut the tap down to cut enough threads before it bottomed out. It was easy. Will likely just be going with a psc ram.

Ive seen that is a common occurrence... I have a spare box to play with too... Any links to what you followed to do it?
Oldman was gonna give me a hand, but wont be home until I too am an old man! LMAO
But ya im just gonna send it once I get the rebuild kit... Already have a power steering cooler- debating about the headache of the wj pump. A ton of mixed reviews there

Just curious-
Why a psc ram? Granted the tractor supply here locally has nothing close to what I need, all the diy'ers sware by the tractor store ram. As long as you get welded instead of bolted ends and the correct stroke, 6"s seems to be the ticket if I recall... Lines fittings and ram cheaper then just the PSC ram

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/HydroAssistTap/

Rebuilding the box is pretty generic. I didn't really follow anything but I'm sure there's tons of info on building one. I also work on cars for a living so I have service info available to me. I too was going to go with a tractor but the psc one looks better built, has heims on both ends, is more what I want. Also when looking at the two I was going to use, the tractor ram had a larger rod size which will give you less force when the ram is retracting (less surface area on the piston). Really it's just preference. The lines and fittings are negligible to me. I will use good hose with serviceable fittings either way.

Ya that makes sense... the rams the store here has aren’t even close to what’s I’d want either. From the diy threads though, looks like you can get damn near exactly what PSC offers. After all they didn’t invent the wheel by any means. That said, I’d gladly run a PSC ram or entire setup for that matter- if money wasn’t an object! Quality parts to be sure. I was just wondering what swayed ya.

I was asking what you followed for tapping locations.. the rebuild process is the least of my concerns... pretty straightforward- like most rebuilds use grease to keep stuff in place- the bearings are easy to fork up from what I recall.

Agreed, fittings and lines rated for the use isn’t a question... I poorly tried to just ask why you’d spend so much more in just the ram when all could be had for much cheaper without the PSC sticker.

I want to find an actual tractor supply store, not just the one aptly named Tractor Supply.

My thoughts are having only 35s, I shouldn’t need to invest a $$grand just to turn em!

Thanks for the link btw!!! Good stuff!

Interesting looking at the left and right turn pressure function inside the box... might be way off, but seems left turn doesn’t have high pressure oil going up at the cap- might reinforce what I was thinking about the tapped cap method not being ideal.
Ultimately I have no idea- so I will just do it as outlined in the write up there and how aftermarket boxes come.

Back