• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch opinions

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
So, since I have the engine out of the rig, and the clutch probably has less than 20k of life left in it, I might as well do the clutch while I'm there. I have had really good experiences in both this rig and prior with Centerforce II clutches, but wanted some of your real world experiences and opinions. I read plenty of "OEM is fine", but want a little extra sticking power behind the stroker, I think... I have read good things about LUK clutches as well...

What say you??:compwork:

I like LUK clutches myself and have never liked centerforce's

In Zuki's the stock clutches always seemed to hold up better than the Centerforce ones

Any chance that your after-market clutch contributed to the excessive wear on your crankshaft? If not, run the same brand again.

I thought about that, but the thrust bearing that was chewed was actually the backside, i.e. away from any increased force at clutch depression, so I don't think so. Centerforces are definately more $$$, so I may head the LUK route...

DOH -- mods, please move to general colorado chapter, I posted in the wrong subforum :doh:

Last edited:
I've used both Centerforce and Luk. No complaints about either one. In4aride's rig has an Luk clutch in it with a crapload of hard wheeling on it - it's survived me, Led and now Mike....... :thumbup:

I'm putting my 2 cents in. Stick with stock. I've had a stock clutch run 33's for 120k running street, dirt, mud and rocks. Had it hot enough it wouldn't stick, let it cool and it kept going. I replaced it at 130 because I figured it was due. Had almost 1/2 the material left.

Had it hot enough it wouldn't stick, let it cool and it kept going.

That's exactly why I don't think OEM is in my future -- I've never gotten the centerforce to stop sticking -- It now has 90k on it, and certainly has life left, I just don't want to do this teardown again in the near future, so I figure I'll replace it while I'm in there...

Thanks for the responses guys!

FWIW, I found a centerforce II disc only, for $110 to my door, so I saved a boatload over a kit of any brand -- I guess I'll keep dancing with the girl who brung me -- Centerforce it is!:greensmok

Back