• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cluster swap write up...

Beej said:
That's a great write up Ranger, now you just need to do one for those of us that have 97's and newer! :D
B.
Gimmie a 97+ Jeep and it'll be done... ha ha
I wish...

WV Jeeper said:
Very nice right up! If I happen to buy this '88 I'm looking at will I have to swap clusters to get a tach? Gil stated he went from an '88 to an '89 and if his memory is holding up that he didn't have to mess w/ any sensors. Is this correct?

Thanks, Jason
well - you can get an aftermarket tach and mount it in some cool Racing location - I considered this till i found the pricetag on the one i wanted to be about $300...

The senders for the idiot lights give an "On" reading or an "Off" reading to trun the idiot lights on WAY after there was a problem. So if you swap the cluster without the senders, the guages will stay at either all the way left or all the way right - giving an inacureate reading...
I swaped the senders first, then drove home - making the idiot lights glow for temperature and Oil pressure. It was cool because the temp light slowy faded in, and the oil pressure light would get brighter or dimmer based on RPM...

so yes, the senders would have to be changed to ahve the Temp and Oil presure guages work - HOWEVER you could swap just the guage clusters and the tach and volt meeter would work...

XJ_ranger said:
well - you can get an aftermarket tach and mount it in some cool Racing location - I considered this till i found the pricetag on the one i wanted to be about $300...

HOWEVER you could swap just the guage clusters and the tach and volt meeter would work...

There goes the tach idea for me too, lol. Thanks for the info!

Jason

XJ_ranger said:
Gimmie a 97+ Jeep and it'll be done... ha ha
I wish...
Buck Jackson said you can have his 97... FREE! :D
Just PM him, and tell him I sent you, to pay him back for leaving his Mickey D's garbage on my driveway.......
B.

I did this swap this past sunday and it was very easy. One of the most quickly completed and satisfyuing swaps i've done, all thanks to a great writeup. I ended up picking up the sensors locally and got the right ones the first time so i figured i'd post some #'s. My xj is a95 and i got and early 90's guage so when they looked up the sensors at autozone i ordered them for a 95 sport with the guages, not the lights.

The temp switch: Wells Brand TU236

Oil Pressure Sender: Niehoff Brand AL4009 OP67871

They were pretty cheap too....

Mike

Excellent writup! I was wondering how to do this as my wife ordered some white racing guages w/Electroluminescent backlighting, but they are for the cluster w/Tach... I'd like to have a Tach so I'll start looking for a cluster. If someone has one for a 94' 4.0 HO let me know. Gotta check, but I think mine has all the other guages... just not the Tach, but has the Fuel Guage in the same place as the writeup.

Back