• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunking noise when im braking

righteyejoe

NAXJA Forum User
i got a 97 with 4 3/4 lift 31 10.50 i have been reading around and i think the clunking noise is coming from my slip yoke and i have been looking at the slip yoke eliminator from rustys am i heading in the right direction?

more than likely any noise heard when you are braking or applying the brakes is probly related to or involved w/ some sorta of brake parts..

can you be more specific about what action caused the clunking noise or do you just want to discuss SYEs
i've got a good story about mine, its custom only cost me about $100 and thats including the driveshaft...

ok i heard the clunking noise off and on when im braking and taking off from a a stop. i recently inspected my front and rear brakes and there is no "apperent" problems

ill get to SYEs if thats the problem

sounds like you are describing a worn (clunking) U-joint, slop in the driveline will clunk whenever you let off the accelarator or apply it from a stop,
park the vehicle on level ground, CHOCK the wheels, place the drivline into NUETRAL, then twist/pry/pull on the drive shaft looking for slop/popping noises comming from the u-joints.
you may need a sye but this need has probably caused a u-joint in your d/s to become worn or dammaged

i checked my u joints and 1 has little slop in it ill replace it and see if that helps i hope its that because i dont want to buy a SYE if i dont need to i luckly dont have bad vibs and i dont have a t-case drop its should be here any day

Think I've got the same prob with my '99. Feels like driveline slop from driving it, but I don't have any expertise in diag that. Do you notice your "clunk" when you let off the gas pedal during cruising? or when you give it moderate throttle from a stop or rolling stop? I'd love to know how to fix this in mine, and it sounds like you've got the same prob. I'll get underneath the car tonight when I change the oil and see if I notice any slop while its in Neutral.

its wierd, i have a similar problem and i cant figure it out... when i come to a stop, it sounds like clud clud clud clud...clud ...clud....clud..........clud.............clud.........................clud stop, its so wierd, i dont know if its my brake shoes, or a loose part, but its annoying as hell, when i slow down almost all the way it like jerks the car each clud, like right before the clud my car is being held back or something.

send me a pm if you know what this is about, or what to do

ChandlerXJ said:
its wierd, i have a similar problem and i cant figure it out... when i come to a stop, it sounds like clud clud clud clud...clud ...clud....clud..........clud.............clud.........................clud stop, its so wierd, i dont know if its my brake shoes, or a loose part, but its annoying as hell, when i slow down almost all the way it like jerks the car each clud, like right before the clud my car is being held back or something.

send me a pm if you know what this is about, or what to do

Mine made some similar sounds and it jerked my xj a little every now and then. Then the rear r & p went out. Don't know if that's what yours is, but if it's jerking you you may want to have a look so you don't lock up your rear and have an accident. Luckily mine went out when I was on the trail going slow.

Back