• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Closed coolant system problem

scottmcneal said:
Does anybody have a pic of the hoses going too the tank? There is 2 3/4 hoses going too the tank, if you look at the t- stat housing standing in front.. The one on the T-sat housing goes to the top (side) of the bottle, Right? the other one goes to the bottom, Right? Thank you for your time...

That is correct, except that the bottom of the tank flares out from 3/4 hose to 7/8" ID.

The side of the bottle connects to the thermostat hose on the right side (viewed standing in front of the Jeep), which is coming from the water pump and bypasses the thermostat. On my 87 I think the thermostat nipple is actually 5/8" which makes replacing the factory heater core and bottle hoses a real pain.

The lower left, 3/4" hose goes to the bottom of the bottle, and is connected directly to the suction side of the water pump, also bypasses the thermostat.

I have some recent pictures, but I have not had time to download and post them.

BrucB83, you talked about water boiling points, but most of us use about 50/50 antifreeze to water mix which has a higher atmospheric boiling point than plain tap or DI water, it is closer to 230 F IIRC, except in Denver!!!!!

The problem comes in at the point of contact in the hottest engine location especially with poor coolant flow. If the bulk coolant temperature is say 230 F, it may be boiling at 260 F at certain hot spots in the head where the metal and coolant meet, at the surface.

Thanks Ecomike, i wasn't sure but now i feel better.. Dam heater core poped on me doing about 70 mph, Hell of a mess... Crap was hot.. Again i thank you

Back