• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cibie lights

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know where I can get the specs on the differences Cibie lights?

I've looked quite a bit, but no one really says much about them, other than their name and model.

I'm trying to decide on some fogs and driving lights.

What is the difference between 180, 190, and 200 series driving lights?

Difference between 40 series and 180 series amber fogs?

Thanks

what is a "cibie" light? Is that brand?

As for differences in the different lamps, if they are all the same physical size and shape I would assume wattage (higher wattage = more light).

Sequoia

I have CIBIE lights, set of e code 7" rounds and some BIG super oscars that I bought years ago. Everybody sold them in the 70's. They are expensive, too expensive for what you get, nostalgia syndrome I think, CIBIE's were at one time "The lights to have". Problem is that they have a reputation and one or two importers so the price is way out of line on their stuff. The Hella and IPF products are just as good unless you want all the stuff that is available like city lights and such. My daughter and wife are going to europe in a couple of weeks, got a list of stuff I want sent back and some cibies are on that list if the prices over there are resonable. Wife balked at carrying a rear XJ back seat with headrests back thru though, oh well....

Hey rich, you do realize i'm stationed in germany, right? if you want back xj seats w/ headrests that bad, i can always find ya a pair and stick 'em in my household goods when i come back stateside.......of course it might cost ya a steak or two;) Just an idear coming from the friendly wolf in iraq/germany

ladywolf said:
Hey rich, you do realize i'm stationed in germany, right? if you want back xj seats w/ headrests that bad, i can always find ya a pair and stick 'em in my household goods when i come back stateside.......of course it might cost ya a steak or two;) Just an idear coming from the friendly wolf in iraq/germany

Very tempting, have you ever seen them ??? I have not, only heard rumours of their existance and that they are 'required' over there on vehicles built there.
When you get done over there where do you rotate to ?? That 'stop-loss' crap they started really stinks. Gonna bite the army in the ass long term...

i'll be at ft campbell KY/TN border.......99% sure of that i'll be there. I will take a look when I get back.....8mud is also there, he could prolly take a gander while i'm still out here in BFI:D

Kris

I know Stern lighting sells them, but they don't really list any specs, or even how big they are.

What would you guys recommend as a good driving light?

Well, I've always been really picky when it comes to off-road lighting...both on my Quadzilla and on my XJ. On my Quadzilla (Suzuki LT-500 quad), I had a pair of Cibie Super Oscars that were just unbelieveable. One driving beam pattern and one fog at first, but I soon switched to having both driving beams with 55W bulbs. Only disadvantage to speak of was that when my riding buddies and I went on night rides at the Glamis dunes, they always wanted me to ride at the back of the pack so they could all see so much better being bathed in light from my Cibies (they all went the cheap way with their Cepek and Super OffRoader lights...and regretted doing so after seeing my lights work)!!

When not on my quad, the Cibies were on the front bumper of my XJ - mounted in the same holes the factory fog lights used to be in. I just plugged 'em into the factory wiring and they were amazing! Unfortunately, I am now without them since I sold them along with my quad (the buyer wouldn't buy the quad without the lights!), and am now considering a new set of big driving lights to replace 'em. Being that I've also had VERY good experiences with the Hella lights I have on my roof-mounted light bar (4 Jumbo 220's facing forward and 2 550FF's, one facing left and one facing right), I'm having a hard time deciding on getting another pair of Super Oscars or going with Hella Black Magics or maybe Rallye 3000s...but I know enough to stay with these two brands for certain.

I did find a VERY helpful and informative resource for off-road lighting (recreational, racing and even RALLY spec!) that will help anyone looking to see better at night...Susquehanna MotorSports. They mainly sell Hella lights, but their site has tons of information about beam types, bulb types, wiring and "how to choose" kind of stuff. Check them out...if for nothing else besides some good information.

Hella lighting beam types explained here

Hella fog and driving lights and prices

Here's a link for Cibie lights and specs for ya, too!
http://www.cibieusa.com/cibie_aux_lighting.htm

I also swapped my stock headlights over to Hellas, as well...with 55W/75W lo/hi beam halogen bulbs. BIG improvement over the "a-bic-lighter-could-do-better" ones that the factory put in the early XJs...although I am about to upgrade the stock headlight wiring, which should make them even better. If not, I might just invest in converting to HIDs.

Oh, in case you're wondering...the lighting setup I used to have looked like this -

JeepDriveway2.jpg

Seems to be missing something now, though...(I Photoshop'ed in the Cibies using an older pic I had :shhh: )

JeepDriveway3.jpg

Hope all that helps people out.

Pyro

Last edited:
Back