• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler-UAW horse [defecation]

98_XJ_Classic

NAXJA Forum User
so Im in college right now I pay my own way for the most part (insurance, tutition, phone any thing else like that). Im still livin at home but got some really bad news today, as some of you may konw chrysler is not doing so well, and my dad is or was rather employed by them. He got laid off thursday, but today he found out not sub pay or job bank money coming like the UAW that he paid dews to every month had promised him. So now a family of 5 has to live off my weak ass check from the hardware, and unemployment. Sorry I just needed to vent about this bullshit. If anyone else is in the same boat I feel your pain.

Re: Chrysler-UAW horse $h1T

Sorry to hear for your father's pain. I remember being out of work & stressing with 4 small kids at home. I don't understand what the following means.
today he found out not sub pay or job bank money coming like the UAW that he paid dews to every month had promised him. .

It means that the Union told him they would pay him if he ever got laid off...

I wouldnt have trusted them, nor will I ever pay for a Union...

Sometimes you don't have the option for not paying for a Union. I don't like being in one. They take $35 every month and that's all I hear from them!

Hopefully your situation improves. Good luck with college and hang in there!

yea, I should have said I wouldn't ever voluntarily pay for one.

That's crap they force you to spend the money you earned on something you don't want...

Good Luck though!

Side note, 35% unemployment rate in my town, every single person I know besides myself and my girlfriend are unemployed. 29% off the top income tax and 22% sales tax on EVERYTHING helps us to support the unemployed in this Welfare country. However, I just went through a medical procedure that would have cost at least 100,000 dollars in the states w/o insurance, and it ended up costing about 500 euros including 500 km of ambulance transport and 16 days in the hospital, so no complaints from me about how the government helps those in need over here...

I hope people wake up after this crap settles down and realizes how the unions have done more to hurt this country than help.

Esp the UAW, they were way too strong of a union, therefore drove the big three into bankrupcy

i think all the unemployed and bums etc should just go on a big riot and get thrown in jail... hey look at it this way, if everyones in jail the state has to pay for them to eat 3 meals a day, a bed to sleep in and clothes to wear. if i was ever in a position to lose everything, thats what i'd do...

I feel for the OP. My Dad worked in a Union Shop for most of his working life. You pay your dues, and the Union does a pretty good job of standing up for you. Unfortunately, not all the promisses can be kept. I remember the few times my Dad was out on strike, we had no income at all. Perhaps that's why he was so conservative with his money.

Also back to the OP. If you are going to college, perhaps you could pay some rent if you're living at home, and not just your share of the bills. Not enough to break you, but to help out some. My reasoning is that you'd have to pay it anyway if you were living away from home.

Best of luck!

The unions turned into a business, the people who run the unions make a ton of money 'protecting their members interests' yea, right, thats another 'I'm from the government and I'm hear to help you' lines.
At one point in time they were necessary, the coal workers were one, problem is the union management gets greedy as do the corporate executives with their multi million dollar incomes where the money does not matter anymore, what matters is they make more millions than their counterpart at at the XYZ company.
If you have a union the union reps and executives should be limited to the SAME INCOME as if they were normal working stiffs, that would drive the lawyers out pretty quick and the vampires that tend to take over the union management from ever coming in.

Hmmm, whatever happened to the UAW paying 90% of the salary ? If the UAW executives are still drawing a full salary they need to be removed, physically if necessary.

they have to keep up with the golf course payments dontcheknow,...

got to pay for what's important first!

Honestly I don't know a lot about Unions, my dad is in the railroad union and he swears by it, but thats it.

I read an article about this in the news paper this morning and I'm just curious, why would you continue to pay someone's wage if you (the company) lay them off? That just seems silly to me. I did notice from the article that the people layed off will still receive medical and dental insurance.

why would you continue to pay someone's wage if you (the company) lay them off? That just seems silly to me. I did notice from the article that the people layed off will still receive medical and dental insurance.

Not sure about today, but in the past it was smart business. You paid the employees a stipend including health insurance so that when business picked up those employees would return. This happened to me once when I worked for Buick in the mid eighties. There was a downturn in business and I was furloughed for two weeks at 1/4 salary plus benefits. The owner of the dealership did not want to lose us 'trained' employees to another shop. The condition was if we took other employment as a mechanic we lost the stipend and benefits. I was lucky, being in the reserve at the time was able to get orders to a cutter for the two weeks.

Not sure about today, but in the past it was smart business. You paid the employees a stipend including health insurance so that when business picked up those employees would return. This happened to me once when I worked for Buick in the mid eighties. There was a downturn in business and I was furloughed for two weeks at 1/4 salary plus benefits. The owner of the dealership did not want to lose us 'trained' employees to another shop. The condition was if we took other employment as a mechanic we lost the stipend and benefits. I was lucky, being in the reserve at the time was able to get orders to a cutter for the two weeks.

Ah ok that makes sense. I was under the impression that the people layed off were still getting paid full wages. But paying there benefits and partial wages to keep them from working somewhere else makes sense.

truth is the old unions were doing well for the members and most became ousted by the companies, the strongest ones like UAW had enough money to force them selves on the companies and take from the employees anything they will give up to keep the idea of a secure job. They served the purpose they were created for then abused the little power they had.

I can prove the that UAW international is corrupt, and is in bed with the company. I am a UAW member in good standing, and I can without a doubt prove that the UAW took the side of the company over one of their union brothers. And if you say, why don't you? We are working on it as we speak. Good luck to your dad!

I can prove the that UAW international is corrupt, and is in bed with the company. I am a UAW member in good standing, and I can without a doubt prove that the UAW took the side of the company over one of their union brothers. And if you say, why don't you? We are working on it as we speak. Good luck to your dad!
So what you're saying is your post is useless for now...:)

As far as the OP, I feel for you, unemployment sucks, and had I been in your dad's shoes, I would definitely expect them to live up to their word, but at the same time, the times have changed from when they made that deal. The manufacturers had to make concessions to the fed and needed to cut costs period in order to stay afloat.

Back