• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee on portals

Rockers cut out 2x6 installed exo started.

1263699626.jpg

DSCF1445.jpg

Had it up to Crozet for a day.

102_1364.jpg

102_1357.jpg

Wow that thing is sweet. One thing though. Where did you get those frame rails, and what did you do to put those on? Cut the old frame off and weld those on or just weld it over the existing uniframe?

<insert Jamie Pressley's voice> DANG!!!! Thats just a little fella! Portals FTW!

I got them so long ago. I think they were tnt, they weld on. If i were to redo it i would just use 1/8" and 3/16 angle and plate. The kits a pain to get to fit tight to the frame rail for good welds.

With all the tube i was quite low in the front so i put in the factory 1inch lift springs with the HD spring rate. gave me about 1.5" boost

before:
1264288368.jpg

Man,..

You just RUINED it for everyone who's ever fitted a D-60/14 bolt combo under their XJ and thought they were the Shizzle,...

Yeah thoes are nice and with the 4 gear portal box your diff doesnt need to turn in reverse. I dont think higher rears are available for the 1 ton stuff so you would have to run a 7.54:1 overall ratio. Mine are 2.50:1 in the diff and 2.13:1 ub the boxes.

Well my driver front reduction box was leaking and the cv had massive amounts of play. Theres alot of hrs in taking this apart so i wanted to put all new internals in the box and cv. However it wound up being cheeper to just get it all new.

all 93lbs of my new portal box with cv attached, and thas without brakes or wheel flange.

This is where the wheel flange presses on. A huge ass socket gets hammerd down to 750FTlbs.
DSCF1592.jpg

CV joint
DSCF1593.jpg

this is where the press comes in this shaft has to press out off the axle shaft
this pic has the needle bering cover and bearings removed. Mercedes charges like 30.00 dollars each needle bering so i hope i dont misplace any.

DSCF1594.jpg

another one showing where the pin needs to be pressed out
DSCF1595.jpg

I've got to ask. Any idea what each axle weighs?

took me about 40 mins to remove the box off the jeep. Not to bad having never done an axle like this before.

After removing the wheel brakes and 8 bolts that hold the box on it slides out with the cv

DSCF1601.jpg

cool little reduction box vent that goes into the axle housing via a banjo bolt

DSCF1600.jpg

Removed 4 cv bolts and the cv splits into 3 main sections
DSCF1603.jpg

this pic shows the stock mog shaft 10 spline vs my 35spline 300m sexyness

DSCF1604.jpg

I dont think ill ever brake a shaft seeing as the portals reduce the stress on them by 50%

The cv that was in there had bushings instead of needle berings. However the bushing is about 1/6th to thin, leaving alot of play. Ill have the correct size made so i can replace the passenger side when I replace my inner hub seal.

I found a 20 ton press at work. I hope its got enough balls to press this pin out.

Im not to worried about the kingpins and the wide tires. Over time the weight of the tire and reduction box can act like a slide hammer when hitting jumps and crap like that. Pretty much everyone who races these axles welds the kingpins in.

Back