• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest exhaust?

You can PayPal me at:

[email protected]

http://www.epa.gov/OMS/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

This is nothing new. This has been Federal (EPA) law for a long, long time and shops that I know of have been popped for violating it.

Y'all should really check the legality of messing with exhaust systems, headers, and all that other stuff. Much of it is illegal.

:)
Fred

Actually, the "ultimate purchaser" (that would be the vehicles owner) can remove ALL of the emissions equipment without fear of FEDERAL prosecution (besides the link above which only applies to those "in the business of" if you check section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act you will see that it DOES NOT APPLY to the owner of the vehicle.

This is not to say you won't have your state EPA up your backside, but the FEDERALES are impotent as far as the owner or "ultimate purchaser".

Also, note that the aftermarket converters are EPA approved and legal in all 49 states that count. Sorry Californios, I saw the movie 2012 and you are SCREWED!

No, I would say it is a no-bet, and he can keep his dollar.

here's a tip...... find out what your state's emission exempt age is. then buy that year vehicle and transplant newer stuff into the older body. And VUALLA..... A newer xj that is emmisions exempt. There for technically you can run no cat or muffler at all. just run headers to cherry bomb to straight pipe all the way back. Where i live in WA. it's 25yrs. old. So as of 1 Jan. 2010 i can do what ever i want to my xj. And i'll be doing alot.

Actually, the "ultimate purchaser" (that would be the vehicles owner) can remove ALL of the emissions equipment without fear of FEDERAL prosecution (besides the link above which only applies to those "in the business of" if you check section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act you will see that it DOES NOT APPLY to the owner of the vehicle.

This is not to say you won't have your state EPA up your backside, but the FEDERALES are impotent as far as the owner or "ultimate purchaser".

Also, note that the aftermarket converters are EPA approved and legal in all 49 states that count. Sorry Californios, I saw the movie 2012 and you are SCREWED!

Actually if you took the time to check fully, you would find:
Title 42 -> Chapter 85 -> Subchapter II -> Part A -> Section 7522 (3)(A):

or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale

Y'all can piss around all you want, trying to find away to make it not illegal, but the fact remains it is illegal.

Geezzz, I was away from Jeeps for about 3 years, wandered over to the Toyota side. I thought that there were a lot of them were "mentally challenged". I was defending the Jeep crowd as "having a clue". Now, I don't know. Some of y'all are making me wonder ;)

Oh, I want my dollar. It's clearly illegal to replace a working cat.. :)

Fred

Yeah no where in that does it say you can't replace your cat if you are replacing it with a new "hi-flow" cat. I do run a cat and always will but when you go from a stock engine to a stroker like I ultimately want to do, 2.25" pipe is not sufficient! Therefore, replacing the cat is a necessity! No dollar for you stealth but:cheers:! :D

Yeah no where in that does it say you can't replace your cat if you are replacing it with a new "hi-flow" cat. I do run a cat and always will but when you go from a stock engine to a stroker like I ultimately want to do, 2.25" pipe is not sufficient! Therefore, replacing the cat is a necessity! No dollar for you stealth but:cheers:! :D

Suggest you re-read section 6 of that link.

BTW, if you are (are planning to) alter the exhaust from "stock configuration", be aware that it's illegal also.

Just because a lot of people do something, without a clue regarding the laws, or even knowing the laws, doesn't make it legal. ;)

Fred

Suggest you re-read section 6 of that link.

BTW, if you are (are planning to) alter the exhaust from "stock configuration", be aware that it's illegal also.

Just because a lot of people do something, without a clue regarding the laws, or even knowing the laws, doesn't make it legal. ;)

Fred

If it passes emissions I don't really care. I am doing my best to help the environment all while Building a competent DD/weekend warrior. People have been modifying vehicles(exhaust being one of the main mods) since long before my time and How many people do you know( who don't live in California) have ever got in trouble for it as long as it is installed correctly. I see where you are coming from but I am going to do it whether you say its illegal or not. As for the Dollar, Every one I have is going toward the sales tax/ a new skid for my new jeep! So, I guess I owe you one!

Last edited:
If it passes emissions I don't really care. I am doing my best to help the environment all while Building a competent DD/weekend warrior. People have been modifying vehicles(exhaust being one of the main mods) since long before my time and How many people do you know( who don't live in California) have ever got in trouble for it as long as it is installed correctly. I see where you are coming from but I am going to do it whether you say its illegal or not. As for the Dollar, Every one I have is going toward the sales tax/ a new skid for my new jeep! So, I guess I owe you one!

We're cool. I really don't care. I just want to make sure that people know it's illegal and not just blindly go about their way. Newbe's could see threads like this, assume it's ok, do some work and then get busted.
As I said, I'm not saying don't do it.
I'm just wanting people to realize and acknowledge that they know, or now know, that it's illegal.
And I do know people here in AZ that have been busted for illegal exhaust/cat. work. A shop right next to the shop that I owned (mine wasn't an exhaust shop. It was a tranny shop, his is an exhaust shop) got busted by the EPA a few years ago. $25,000.00 fines are nothing to sneeze at ;)

Fred

here's a tip...... find out what your state's emission exempt age is. then buy that year vehicle and transplant newer stuff into the older body. And VUALLA..... A newer xj that is emmisions exempt. There for technically you can run no cat or muffler at all. just run headers to cherry bomb to straight pipe all the way back. Where i live in WA. it's 25yrs. old. So as of 1 Jan. 2010 i can do what ever i want to my xj. And i'll be doing alot.

Remember State law(less restrictive) exempt anyone from the Federal law.

For instance, Federal law is that if that year vehicle had a cat. then it's got to always have a cat.

Fred

We're cool. I really don't care. I just want to make sure that people know it's illegal and not just blindly go about their way. Newbe's could see threads like this, assume it's ok, do some work and then get busted.
As I said, I'm not saying don't do it.
I'm just wanting people to realize and acknowledge that they know, or now know, that it's illegal.
And I do know people here in AZ that have been busted for illegal exhaust/cat. work. A shop right next to the shop that I owned (mine wasn't an exhaust shop. It was a tranny shop, his is an exhaust shop) got busted by the EPA a few years ago. $25,000.00 fines are nothing to sneeze at ;)

Fred

It could be that way in your neck of the woods but Indiana is pretty lax when it comes to enforcing vehicle laws! Just glad i didn't get a stoker and Full exhaust BEFORE that mercedes turned in front of me. Her Insurance company wouldn't be happy paying an extra 5k for the drivetrain! :D

well i guess it's a good thing the state and federal law enforcment officials don't co-operate with enforcing each others laws. As long as the stater that pulls me over won't give me a ticket or impound my rig, I don't really care. I worked for the FED. long enough. I no longer care what they say or think ishould do with my "Classic Jeep"....!!!!!

Hey guys, wanted to give you an update since I started the thread. The muffler shop guy said my downpipe is Stainless and will last along time, so he just went 2.5 from there back, new cat, new muffler, and custom exit that is high clearence at rear bumper. He has my jeep now, I am paying him $350 with tax total.

He gaurentees no rattles of any kind.

Good deal or not, thats what I did.

THANKS to all for the their input!

Back