• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap, Fast, and Hard.......Paint

SeeingSpots

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to share with you guys an on-going paint experiment that I've been doing. It's applicable to our relative humidity in Colorado, so I'm posting it here.

As like most of you, I'm really cheap. Powercoating is expensive and tends to chip, POR15 will eventually turn gray from the sun, and the rattle can paint is too thin and will flake off. So I started reading the MSDS for paints and tried to find the best retail paint that had the highest solids content for the best price.

Behold....I know, right? Basic satin Rustoleum.

So just reducing and spraying this stuff will give you marginal results, just like the rattle can formula. But I did it a little differently. I did a 4:1:.5 of Acetone with an Enamel activator which can be purchased at any automotive paint store. Spraying it at 45psi at the gun, with a 1.4 tip, at 50 degrees, the results were pretty fricken awesome. Much to my surprise, it laid down super flat. It would say it's as hard, if not harder than POR15. After a week of dry time, I took a ball pein hammer to a tester piece of flat bar, and not a crack! The best part is, all of the ingredients only cost me $25.00.

The next time you guys are looking to paint something for cheap, give this a shot. The only caveat is that you'll need a HVLP gun and a fresh air supply. The polyisocyanate contained in the hardener will kill you quick if you don't have good ventilation.

Here are some pictures from my bumper and tire carrier that I painted today. Sorry for the crappy pictures. I'll snap a few more once they're installed back on the jeep.

Last edited:
Thank you kindly. I used a Fast-acting hardener because of the temp. Consequently, I laid it down thicker than Rosie O'Donnell. Here's another snap of the flatness once it was dry enough to flip it over and spray the other side.

big enough shackle there sir?

They're 7/8 shackles. I figured with all of the extra weight from the gussets, I needed the additional capacity. :D

You should see his nipple rings. He refuses to wear a shirt whenever I've been over there. Ick.

His neighbor apparently was impressed with something else..... came over once and kept asking him how "big prince albert" was doing today...... whatever that means....

Yella, you just made me spit out my cheap work coffee. Jim, you lost me at paint. :D

His neighbor apparently was impressed with something else..... came over once and kept asking him how "big prince albert" was doing today...... whatever that means....

Airport security is a bitch too. I keep telling them it's not a weapon, but then the detector wand and the lubed pinky comes out. And as I scream from a small back room at DIA, while a TSA agent is 2 knuckles deep into my balloon knot, I'll refer back to this thread and say 'I knew I should've bought the 3/4 "D-Ring" instead.'

Where am I?......

Last edited:
Good question. I probably should've addressed that.

It's a Sherman Williams enamel primer for direct-to-metal applications. I had it left over from when I painted the body. Very tough stuff.

If you were to buy it retail, it's about $25.00 for a gallon.

Last edited:
Showed this to the paint guys at work yesterday (NAPA) and they thought this was plain cool, one guy even wrote the mix down and said he would give it a try.

:clap:

No worries at all. My pleasure. I have nothing mechanical to contribute on here, but I've got paint knowledge for days. lol

Granted, there are A LOT more professional-grade paint systems available in the marketplace, but they can get very expensive. My goal was to find something cheap and durable enough to resist the daily abuses like rock chips and medium abrasions.

This was just to give another option for those who need to repaint their accessories at the end of a season. Nothing mentioned here will withstand a direct impact from a boulder or a tree.

Honestly, it's been so cold lately, I haven't even had a chance to get into the garage and install the front bumper yet. The tire carrier is on and it looks awesome. ;)

Have you ever seen www.topsecretcoatings.com. Their paint is great. I like that it has UV protection and goes on thin. I recommend the TS-4 for bumpers and the like. You can get it in lots of colors as well.

Just don't get it on your hootus.:wave1:

I wanted to share with you guys an on-going paint experiment that I've been doing. It's applicable to our relative humidity in Colorado, so I'm posting it here.

As like most of you, I'm really cheap. Powercoating is expensive and tends to chip, POR15 will eventually turn gray from the sun, and the rattle can paint is too thin and will flake off. So I started reading the MSDS for paints and tried to find the best retail paint that had the highest solids content for the best price.

Behold....I know, right? Basic satin Rustoleum.

So just reducing and spraying this stuff will give you marginal results, just like the rattle can formula. But I did it a little differently. I did a 4:1:.5 of Acetone with an Enamel activator which can be purchased at any automotive paint store. Spraying it at 45psi at the gun, with a 1.4 tip, at 50 degrees, the results were pretty fricken awesome. Much to my surprise, it laid down super flat. It would say it's as hard, if not harder than POR15. After a week of dry time, I took a ball pein hammer to a tester piece of flat bar, and not a crack! The best part is, all of the ingredients only cost me $25.00.

The next time you guys are looking to paint something for cheap, give this a shot. The only caveat is that you'll need a HVLP gun and a fresh air supply. The polyisocyanate contained in the hardener will kill you quick if you don't have good ventilation.

Here are some pictures from my bumper and tire carrier that I painted today. Sorry for the crappy pictures. I'll snap a few more once they're installed back on the jeep.

I may have to have that translated to English...I have a header panel that needs painted, would this work for that?

Back