• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheap ebay bumper/tow hook brackets

I think the difference between the 96-down and 97-up brackets may be the position of the pad that the hook bolts on to. 'Have a hunch the 97-up brackets are raised up about 1/2" so the hook body clears the plastic end cap. I got a set of brackets from a junk yard(sitting loose, 'don't know what year they came from,...) When I put them on my '00, the hooks were in the correct position to go through the holes in the end caps, but the extended hook body for the XJ hook hit the plastic. I just stuck a set of generic 3-hole CJ/YJ/TJ hooks on the brackets and went with it. Never occurred to me until now that there might be another style bracket.

While you have the bumper off, the factory bracket kit included an "L" bracket that bolts to the 2 outermost bumper mount holes(the ones at the end of the ears on the uni-body rails that stick out past the core support) and also to the 2 holes in the core support just inside the rails. 'Doesn't look like the E-bay items had the bracket, but it's easy to make.

Hindsight being what it is, if you have to buy tow hooks, consider D-ring brackets instead. Last time out, I bashed a rock with one of the hooks and bent the mounting bracket over and up. A D-ring eye probably wouldn't hang down quite as far, and would give a little extra clearance on the little ouchies.

I got my brackets today. They look pretty good to me. Does anyone have a list of the hardware needed to bolt them up? We'll see how they line up on my 99. The previous residents left a new 2" hitch receiver in the garage. I'm going to see if I can't mount it to these brackets.

Back