• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chapter Moab run 2010! MAY 21 - 23

What weekend works best for you? You can pick more than one.

• Last weekend in April

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • First weekend in May

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • 2nd weekend in May

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • 3rd weekend in May

Votes: 32 64.0%

• Total voters
what order were you in? I got maybe the first four rigs on the way in... several on the way out... I'll check in the next day or two and try and get them posted (I'm a rookie at posting vid on the net...)

We where the second in line. Right after Troy.

Then I have vid, likely both in and out -- do not hold me responsible for the quality, however, or the lack there-of, cameras are not my strong suit.:wierd::thumbup:

Images from Steelbender on Thursday.
IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

Checking in. Make it home in one piece, still a bit dazed at the whole weekend. Driving the trails and the obstacles I've been reading about since I first picked up a Petersen's magazine.

I have a good number of pic's and some video from Hell's Revenge that I'll get up in the next day or two. Not so much from the early Trifecta group, too busy driving.

Thank you to Troy for getting the Thread/Run together, and JohnJohn as well for each taking trail lead and the good advice to a Moab noob. Lastly to everyone who spotted me through stuff I wasn't sure I should be doing in the first place.

:yelclap:

--Tom

I just made it home with the tow rig. My insurance agent told me today that I have up to a $1000 worth of towing insurance. So I paid a company out of Grand Junction to haul the tow rig home and my boss took the XJ down to Denver while I waited for them to show up.

Also found out the engine that I bought from a friend and put on the XJ this winter was a Jasper engine. And it's only had about 10,000 miles on it and 16 months old. Maybe I can get some warranty coverage but not likely now that it's in another vehicle. We have installed 4 or 5 Jasper engines at work in the last year, so maybe I have some juice with them?

Thanks again to everyone for the concern and offers of help!!!!

Great time wheeling otherwise!!

I'll start going thru video tomorrow.

Terry

we also made it home.
unfortunatly to a house that had dog crap and piss all over with our screen door ripped off. the gal claims that she was here yesterday. with rock hard shit on the floor and the toilet completly dry i dont think so!

great time though guys thanks for having us and cant wait for next year though i think we should do a group site at slick rock for those camping there. i think you get a discount.

Apparently we didn't take a whole lot of "action" photos, and I don't think you'd all be that excited of pics of the kids playing in the sand...

Thursday evening -- set up camp in Arches, and the weather was wicked good:
P5200111.jpg

P5200113.jpg

boys playing on the dune in the "backyard"
P5200116.jpg

from the dune down to camp
P5200119.jpg

sunset was tolerable...
P5200121.jpg

P5200124.jpg

Friday -- Hell's Revenge with the whole group, I think I counted 18 rigs (including JohnJohn and Wacky, even if they were missing an "X" from their rigs...)
P5210128.jpg

P5210130.jpg

P5210134.jpg

4-wheel drive is kindof a must on Hell's gate...
P5210135.jpg

I think Rick's eyes were actually closed, but he made it look easy
P5210141.jpg

Can anyone else hear the disco -- "goin to the car wash...."
DSCN0995.jpg

DSCN0998.jpg

DSCN0992.jpg

Part II: Hell's Revenge, Continued...

Mickey's Hot Tub:
In is steep, but no problem
P5210148.jpg

A front locker might help on the exit...
P5210150.jpg

or a team of hardbodies
P5210155.jpg

JohnJohn wants some credit... but that looks like an XJ pulling Yella out...
P5210159.jpg

The kids had had it with the long day a long chain of rigs makes, so we said goodbye to the group and headed to Milt's for ice cream, and then dipped our toes in the creek at the park on Sand Flats Road... I may or may not have taken a well deserved 40-yr-old nap
DSCN1000.jpg

DSCN1007.jpg

Saturday -- WINDY night on Friday, maybe one hour of sleep as Sheila and I waited for the fabric to tear away from the nest -- it held together, but with the forecast for more, heavier wind, we decided it was time to move to town -- after calling virtually every hotel in town, Wacky managed to get us apparently the last two rooms in Moab (except for a janitor's closet at the "Virginian") at the La Quinta. After a decent breakfast at the Diner, we headed back to Arches for a trip out to Tower Arch on a fairly easy but seldom used 4WD trail...
DSCN1027.jpg

DSCN1029.jpg

Tower Arch in the distance:
DSCN1031.jpg

and up close:
DSCN1048.jpg

plus a smaller "freebie" arch right next door
DSCN1061.jpg

Part III: Sunday -- After 10-15 trips to Moab over the years, somehow I had never made it out to Dead Horse Point State Park... WOW!... the scale is just unreal
DSCN1069.jpg

It was a touch breezy...
DSCN1070.jpg

Then took a wicked cool shelf road down Spring Canyon to the Green River... Sheila was a little less than thrilled since she hates shelf roads (but I thought it was way cool)
DSCN1083.jpg

DSCN1089.jpg

picniced at the bottom, and played in the wash
DSCN1090.jpg

DSCN1091.jpg

enjoyed the spectacular blooming desert near the Green River
DSCN1096.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

Along with the seldom-seen native Moab-Lion
DSCN1106.jpg

The wind kept blowing, the sand kept flying, and Sheila woke up this morning with the flu, or maybe Valley Fever given all the crap in the air
DSCN1108.jpg

SO, we ditched our plans to come home through Great Sand Dunes NP and over Medano Pass, and may give that a shot this weekend for Memorial Day, assuming Sheila is up to it -- thanks again to everyone, great to meet you all out there and we had a blast on Hell's Revenge!:sunshine:

I'll work on getting the vids I shot of a few folks on Hell's Gate processed and up in the next couple days.:D

Back