• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB buy list opinions

And if I'm not too mistaken, where that antenna is located is insanely easy to get to on a '97-'01, just un-clip the dome lamp assembly, punch the hole, and mount the antenna. Take off the pass side windshield trim (Inside), and push the coax though the opening. Run it down to behind the glovebox, button it all up, mount the raddidio (Power is under the Pass side kickplate), check the SWR, and start yacking :D

There are some real good reviews of this antenna. Easy to setup & outstanding performance.

-Ron

Ron, you are correct. Very easy install.

I have the cobra 29 lx and it has been a constant disappointment for the cost. Looks cool though...
Well I'm glad you mentioned that. Is there any reasons its been a disappointment? Reliability, reception, etc. The only reason I was leaning toward it originally is it seemed to have some good features (the weather radio is what I was most interested in)

I've had some things come up and should probably wait a month or so before buying the radio stuff. Which is good I guess, gives me more time to research.

Well I'm glad you mentioned that. Is there any reasons its been a disappointment? Reliability, reception, etc. The only reason I was leaning toward it originally is it seemed to have some good features (the weather radio is what I was most interested in)

I've had some things come up and should probably wait a month or so before buying the radio stuff. Which is good I guess, gives me more time to research.

It has been extremely sensitive to grounding. I have all soldered connection and my ground is straight to the tub, yet it fails the internal power test. My antenna is tuned to 1.1:1 confirmed with an external SWR meter, yet the internal SWR gauge shows 2:1 which appears to be a calibration issue. It recently has stopped receiving unless you key-up for a second or two but fades off after 30 seconds or so. Prior to my reception issues, it has had impeccable receive sensitivity, and when transmit has worked (due to the internal SWR reading cutting the transmitter) it has had excellent range. It is very possible I have a lemon, as Cobra sells these things like hot cakes. I bought it for trail use with the added bonus of WX bands like you were looking at. I have Monday off and I am going to do some troubleshooting with a HAM buddy of mine, so if I do salvage it I will let you know, but in the year I have had it it has been a problem child.

Last edited:
Refresh and upgrade all your grounds. Also add a ground from your exhaust to the body, hood to the firewall. I've spent hours and hours reading and some trial and error on my mobile setup. I don't have anything extraordinary or high tech but what I do have works well. Currently I'm running a Cobra 25 Nightwatch and a 4' Firestik antenna sitting on about an 11" stainless steel extension. I power the radio from the fusebox in the cab. Originally I powered directly from the battery but I Was getting too much interference so I relocated. After everything was said and done I have a near perfect SWR at about 1.2:1 within the city I know I can get 5-8 miles minimum.

Recently I came up on some iCom handheld uhf/vhf 2M radios but I haven't had the time to test them out. I plan on "permanently" mounting one in the xj with a fixed antenna at the rear opposite my cb antenna. By no means am I an expert in radios, I'm still very green to the hobby but I do enjoy tech gadgets and communication devices.

What did you use to add the grounds you mentioned? Just some big cable, bolts, and a wire wheel to knock paint off?

Hmm, I bought a Cobra 19 from Wal-Mart and it worked perfectly. Dunno about the distance but I could hear my friends on the trail clear as day. Had a 2' firestick and a medium duty spring mounted right at the top of the taillight. Only stuck up above the roof 6-8" but still worked great.

For the radio I wire wheeled a spot on the transmission tunnel, and through bolted the ground connection to bare metal, soldering that wire into a gold plated loop. The hardware I used was stainless. I went back later after having mega problems and used dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. I still don't know if that was a good move or a bad move. At the antenna mount, I grounded the antenna stud to the body using a 1/2" ground strap, in addition to the mount point's natural ground of being bolted to the body. I had a 19DX iv prior with zero issues. The antenna still has a 1.1:1 with any SWR meter besides the internal to the radio.

What did you use to add the grounds you mentioned? Just some big cable, bolts, and a wire wheel to knock paint off?

For the exhaust I had a fat little cable, similar to a battery cable(thin strand) and the hood I had some extra ground wires like what you might use on electric motors. I do have some 1/2" stainless belt type but haven't gotten around to put them on in place of the cables on the hood. To remove the paint I just used a wire wheel on my Dremel. Since I live in SoCal and rust really isn't an issue, I went over the connections with spray paint.

seems like a lot of guys are moving over to amateur radio rigs. From what I've seen a single band 2m rig isn't much more than a CB, and works way better. I'm in the talk to the guy who's going to get life flight out to you camp vs talk to the guy you can see in front of you.
2 meter is a amateur radio band and does require at least a technician class license none of the current license classes require morse code any longer.

the galaxy radios (aka Import radios) are not cbs they are in fact clasified as 10 meter radios amatuer radio they commonly used by "free banders". due to them not being type accepted as cb radios they not legal to use on CB and honestly if one was going to go this route one can get an actual HF rig that is far better quality and more capable than these are.

Getting a ham radio license isnt difficult at all tech class is a 35 question multiple choice test so is the gerneral class license. if one is interested in getting a license find a local amatuer radio club if one is not sure where to find one check the ARRL amatuer radio relay league. most clubs will be listed there. they also have a list of test sessions and materials to get one going in the hobby.

Last edited:
You did all that work on the grounds but yet you are pulling power off the fuse box?

Yup. When I originally started I had powered directly from the battery but there was way too much "engine noise" coming through to the point my squelch was almost maxed out. With the power from the fuse box I have zero interference. I also tried running power through the 12v supply on the switch panel but that also gave me a ton of noise. Since I don't really use the cb very often this setup works well for me. I got the idea from a little cb shop out by where I work...so if the tech says it'll work fine then i'll take his word for it.

All the ground work isn't really benefitting the radio so much as it is the antenna. By creating a larger and more stable ground plane I am able to achieve a near perfect swr which is the number one goal with any radio setup.

Last edited:
Can i ask why a 102" whip is frowned upon? that's what i run imo its the best antenna and the most durable, and usually the cheapest . I pin mine down on low clearance stuff.

Because it puts a frown on the face of the person on the side of the trail that gets whipped in the face.

Back