• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cat-back exhaust

alek

NAXJA Forum User
now that my muffler is starting to dry rot, i've found an excuse to spend some money on a cat-back exhaust system. i'm looking into possibly purchasing a high-flow cat, and i definitely want to get a meaner muffler.

does anyone know of any good high-flow cats?
what's a good muffler for a meaty engine sort of sound, that gets a bit quieter at higher RPM's?

thanks a lot for the help.

I just picked up a magniflow cat and Dynomax catback from summit for my 99. the cat was 100, and the catback was 135(with a free $50 summit card) I just got it installed a few days ago and so far I am very happy with the sound. It's got a slight gurgle at idle and a deep and throaty but not obnoxiously loud exhaust note now. No drone on the highway and under WOT runs I can still hear my intake over the exhaust(volant CAI).

gibson is the best sound in my opinion. its not really loud and annoying like a flowmaster. search youtube for it. the muffler itself is big so its not the best choice if ur into rock crawling

Call me cheap, or call me Suzie...just don't call me late for dinner.

I had a Flowtech Redhot (your basic glasspack) that cost about $25; once it mellwoed out as glasspacks do, it actually sounded pretty darn nice. A lot of people thought I had a V-8 under the hood, and that was all I did. Stock cat, stock piping, just chopped out the old one and welded the new muffler in place. It was a cheap fix to pass an inspection, nothing more. I was pleasantly surprised though! There wasn't a lot of drone at cruising, but you sure knew it when you gave 'er some gas! Anyways, other people have written about this muffler, search it.

I had a Flowtech Redhot (your basic glasspack) that cost about $25; once it mellwoed out as glasspacks do, it actually sounded pretty darn nice. A lot of people thought I had a V-8 under the hood, and that was all I did. Stock cat, stock piping, just chopped out the old one and welded the new muffler in place. It was a cheap fix to pass an inspection, nothing more. I was pleasantly surprised though! There wasn't a lot of drone at cruising, but you sure knew it when you gave 'er some gas! Anyways, other people have written about this muffler, search it.

I'm gonna call shennanigans on that. I have a dynomax tailpipe with a glasspack muffler, and it sounds like pure garbage. drones like a vaccum cleaner, and is just plane annoying.

On the other hand with a high flow cat, the Super 40's can sounds quite nice. My friend has one in his 3.9 dakota and it sounds pretty good.

MisterFubar said:
I just picked up a magniflow cat and Dynomax catback from summit for my 99. the cat was 100, and the catback was 135(with a free $50 summit card) I just got it installed a few days ago and so far I am very happy with the sound. It's got a slight gurgle at idle and a deep and throaty but not obnoxiously loud exhaust note now. No drone on the highway and under WOT runs I can still hear my intake over the exhaust(volant CAI).
How did this change the way it runs? Any more grunt or WOT big gains or just a pleasing sound? Anybody that did a high flow cat and muffler to replace a working stock setup notice anything more than sound?

Back