• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Casper or Laramie WY?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Anyone from the area?

Looking for someone with knowledge of the area off RT487 between the two cities. North of Medicine Bow.

Interested in what's in the area, if your familiar please PM.

Thanks.

John, I made the drive from Ft. Collins to Casper several years ago and took 487. I remember it being VERY isolated, kinda neat for a change. IIRC that was the route Butch and Sundance took while fleeing the possee. My wife and I both commented that Casper was the friendliest town we had ever stayed in, even moreso than the hospitable South, which is saying something. Don't know if this will help but I figured I'd toss it out there. TC

John B said:
Anyone from the area?

Looking for someone with knowledge of the area off RT487 between the two cities. North of Medicine Bow.

Interested in what's in the area, if your familiar please PM.

Thanks.
I drive that area a lot.

There isn't anything there but three things.

Dirt

Sagebrush

and Antelope.

DrMoab said:
I drive that area a lot.

There isn't anything there but three things.

Dirt

Sagebrush

and Antelope.

Ya left out tri-directional wind and potguts......

KC, theres alot of history in the area. And it's looks like a good "starting point" for adventures later in life. How ya been?...PM me. :thumbup:

DrMoab, what X just eluded to is one of the things i'm wondering about. I know further west there are wind farms popping up. Seen anything in the area?

we have wind farms just out side of town by me, brand new

I rode it a few weeks ago on the Bike....I am in the area.

There is not much "civilization" there...(read with Heavy sarcasm) Make sure you fuel before you "need" to.....

But if you like being isolated, seeing high-plains wildlife, and not having the cell phone ring, it is certainly decent road and relaxing to drive.

It cen get windy, and in the winter blowing snow will slow you down.

Jim

mavinwy said:
I rode it a few weeks ago on the Bike....I am in the area.

There is not much "civilization" there...(read with Heavy sarcasm) Make sure you fuel before you "need" to.....

But if you like being isolated, seeing high-plains wildlife, and not having the cell phone ring, it is certainly decent road and relaxing to drive.

It cen get windy, and in the winter blowing snow will slow you down.

Jim

Good input Jim! You mentioned a few "key" words.

Do you often get to run this road at your leisure? I'm particuarly interested in the area between MB and RT77 to the East.

I'v read mention of the Miracle Mile of the Platt River....where is that located?

Are you also familiar with the Seminoe Reservoir?

Isn't that a standard UFO flight path?
fahr10.gif

3_eyes.gif
hae52.gif
16.gif

John B said:
Good input Jim! You mentioned a few "key" words.

Do you often get to run this road at your leisure? I'm particuarly interested in the area between MB and RT77 to the East.

I'v read mention of the Miracle Mile of the Platt River....where is that located?

Are you also familiar with the Seminoe Reservoir?

I get to run the road fairly often. I live in Cheyenne about 45 miles from Laramie, and used to work for the state and had much occasion to travel most of the roads in Wyoming. Still do just because I enjoy it.

As far as the roads from Medicine Bow. US30 from Laramie to there is an alternate truck route when Elk Mtn is closed. So the road is fairly well maintained and wide enough for big rigs. 487/77/220 (or 351 if I remember numbers correctly) will be less traveled any time of the year. The road is somewhat less maintained, but is still passable in all but the worst of weather. (be aware...what we call bad weather here may NOT be the same things as folks from other parts of the country).

The area is not really winding roads. A lot of flat and you can see the horizon as there are not many trees along that area.

Seminoe State Park/Resevoir was one of the areas I suppored when I worked for the state. It is likely one of the most beautiful areas around. It is a huge resevoir. As you drive the road out may feel that you are at Hells Half Acre instead, but once you drop out of the sand dunes and into the Res. Area you'll see just what I mean. If in the winter, and they say 4 wheel drive or Chain law in effect....they mean it. The road to the park itself is not the greatest, but was being worked on in sections last time I was out. Again not a lot of "tree" area as you are basically looking near the red-desert there. Good fishing from boats, not so great from the shore, but still decent. All of the state parks are fee areas now, and reserved camping is available at all of them AFAIK

Miracle Mile (if we are talking about the same area) is about 20-30 miles north from Seminoe Res. Great fishing when I was last there, but it was years ago. There was a ranch/restraunt that used to have some of the best steaks.... Used to go out there with my great uncle who lived in Rawlins.

If you are planning on wheeling, there are a lot of dirt roads in the area, just watch for private property. Stay on the dirt roads and you'll see a lot of antelope this time of the year as well as fowl and small game. May even see a few mule deer. You likely won't see a lot of places to go rock crawling.

Jim

John B said:
West on 20? Federal Land, Dept of Energy.?

Are there concesions made to surrounding property owners?
I am just strictly curious but....what are you looking for out there? You have brought up windfarms a couple of times. Wyoming has a bunch of them actually

DrMoab said:
I am just strictly curious but....what are you looking for out there? You have brought up windfarms a couple of times. Wyoming has a bunch of them actually

Exactly what i'm looking to avoid.... looking for property to raise bunny's and Chipmunks. :farmer:

mavinwy....Thank You, you have been very helpful. :cheers:

John B said:
Exactly what i'm looking to avoid.... looking for property to raise bunny's and Chipmunks. :farmer:

mavinwy....Thank You, you have been very helpful. :cheers:

Anytime....

Just PM me if I can help or want to talk about the area. I'll send back a phone #

Jim

If you want to take a little scenic detour...

We really like the area around Centennial and up to the west in the Snowy Range, just SW of Laramie. There are some good trails (or used to be) on the Medicine Bow NF near Vedauwoo Recreation Area and up near the top of the pass beyond Centennial. Good little restauant in Centennial (Murph's was better, but it burned a few years back). Great cabins at Mountain Meadow cabins and a nice campground right across the road.

Saratoga is the place to start a trip to the North Platte. Just Google for a fly shop there and e-mail them for info. There was a nice fly shop in Laramie, not sure if it's still there. IF you can get on the Laramie river do it. The V-Bar dude ranch has cabins and miles of river, but they're a little pricey for me.

I haven't been back there for 5 or 6 years, but my (soon to be ex-) BIL used to work at Snowy Range ski area as their Mountain Manager, so we spent a week or so out there every year for 4 or 5 years.

I just looked at the map on Google Earth, and Vedauwoo Recreation Area is nearer I-80. I was thinking of Libby Flats. The NF has an ORV link on their web-site http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/mbr/.

After a recent visit to Wyoming a bud of mine decided to take the plunge and put a deposit on 35 acres.

He really likes the open prairie and will be putting a small rustic log cabin on the property in the future.

The area is an 1800 mile run from us here, doable in 2 days making it a worthwhile weeklong trip. I'm sure we'll be running out come spring to check it out.

So, just out of curiosity

What's the going rate for 35 acres in the WYde open prarie?

Back