• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carbon fiber...why not?

because its still fun.

i guess anything i post from now on is going to get the buttpirate attack with all the scurvey S cum and semen that follow em around. So yeah it's still fun.

dzolcali said:
Has anyone tried converting their rig to biodiesel? I think it would be pretty neat to do that but I am unsure of the consequential attributes of running biodiesel, I.E. locating fuel, power loss or gain? Fuel economy loss or gain?
any information into converting the I6 to biodiesel would be helpful.

thanks

I've been quietly following along this amusing thread, getting a good laugh along the way, when it finally struck me that you're the guy with the biodiesel guestion. Man, this just gets better and better. No offense, seriously, we've all gotta learn along the way.

good call....I do/did have an electric super charger, I took it off, noticed a acceleration drop actually...mpg drop as well...kinda funny how people think they are bunk but from honest opinion it was working ok on my ride...i'm just too lazy to put it back on and the wire tha tpowered it goes to my amplifier now...ah well.
the biodiesel thing...some guy at my work was telling me that there are kids in college that were converting their hondas to biodiesel with some regular home depot stuff...I don't think he was trying to sucker me, but perhaps he was suckered with that, and then passed it on to me and because i work with him I believed it. Oh well...
ima stand my ground with the carbon fiber, it's a street performance thread, which means STREET not offroad so those who keep saying "You can't hit a rock with that" obviously you haven't realized that rocks aren't on highways and streets that are going to crash into my drive shaft...so I stand firm on my original CF statements.

Just curious you never did say how many cfm that electric "supercharger" flows. Do you know or can you find out? Seat of the butt dynos aren't very accuarate. If it doesn't flow anymore than 275cfm all it could do is hinder your engine.

I don't think its advisable to try to convert a regular 4.0 to a diesel engine. Better to just start with a diesel engine to begin with and then run biodiesel in it. Jetta TDI's have a nice diesel, but I don't know how easy a swap would be. There is another thread on diesels in off-topic, and Lawn Cher' is knowledgable about diesels and biodiesel. Search some of his threads on diesels in a cherokee...

I say go for it on the carbon fibre stuff and prove the naysayers wrong. Although using foamboard and fibreglass is also very lightweight and mocks up easily...

how many pounds of bost did that supercharger give you?

im thinking about getting one instead of the eaton blower, sooo much cheaper and i read on the internet you can get 100hp using old vacume cleaner parts!

The costs of making cf parts outweighs the benifits. If you are going to make a cf driveshaft, you only will get maybe a 5% gain in performance. It will cost close to $1000 just to get one made. I can think of better ways to spend that kind of cash.

sure...understandable. I'm not sure about the cfm of the electric charger and I know butt dynos are innaccurate...but I have noticed i have to stomp on the gas pedal a bit more to get the same power...that was very noticible almost instantly after I took the ESC off. Oh well...anyone ever drink TeQuizA...first time drinking it and it's not too bad really...

on a serious note:

possibly the esc that he used pushed enough air to make the throttle respond better?

carbon fiber hoods, fenders and doors will be nice.

Holy thread revival.

But to the question you asked, because typical XJ owners are cheapskates and true carbon parts are anything but cheap. Heck even fiberglass parts aren't cheap, dyed black or not. Therefore the volume will be incredibly low and the resulting part cost will be high in order to recoup the mold production costs.

Unlike building with fibreglass, an Autoclave is required to build with CF. Stronger? Yes. Lighter? Yes. Economical? No Possible Way.

Really think there is a market, in the XJ community, for an $800 hood? Fenders than cost at least as much?

IMO, the market is not there.

Interesting idea though...

Unlike building with fibreglass, an Autoclave is required to build with CF. Stronger? Yes. Lighter? Yes. Economical? No Possible Way.

Really think there is a market, in the XJ community, for an $800 hood? Fenders than cost at least as much?

An autoclave isnt needed for all carbon work, Sure top of the line carbon stuff thats built from pre-impregnated stuff needs autoclaves, but a simple panel or cover can be laid wet.

To me, carbon stuff on xj's is stupid not only because of the cost, but also because of stock weight and stock value, carbon fiber doors for an xj are like pouring a 40oz of olde english into a pint glass, it doesnt raise the value one bit.

We vacuum bag and heat cf aircraft panels. You don't need an oven if you have the right tools.

Some of the guys in my local car club made CF roof panels for their BMWs using the wet lay up method. They turned out great.

Seems like a PITA for a vehicle that doesn't need/merit it when talking about an XJ IMO.

Back