• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Car/Truck ADD... Bought me a HEMI!

Not even close Junior!

X2. Puh-leese! :rolleyes:

Surf's an amature....... :D

Nice truck though Surf. :thumbup: I don't think you'll regret that purchase anytime soon. My first Dodge was a white/gray '99 quad cab like this one:

22608945-640.jpg

I put larger tires on mine and didn't have the ghey sun visor like this one, but otherwise, just like it. LOVED that truck! More than any of my Cummins trucks as far as comfort/DD duty. But yeah, sucked the fuel down like nuthin. IIRC, 13.5 was my best MPG in that truck, it had the 360, not the 318.

X2. Puh-leese! :rolleyes:

Surf's an amature....... :D

Nice truck though Surf. :thumbup: I don't think you'll regret that purchase anytime soon. My first Dodge was a white/gray '99 quad cab like this one:

22608945-640.jpg

I put larger tires on mine and didn't have the ghey sun visor like this one, but otherwise, just like it. LOVED that truck! More than any of my Cummins trucks as far as comfort/DD duty. But yeah, sucked the fuel down like nuthin. IIRC, 13.5 was my best MPG in that truck, it had the 360, not the 318.

He approves! Haha. Thanks. I hope it serves me well. Anything I should look out for? Common problems?

Ya know Surf, for all the shit I've given ya in the past, I gotta say... ya did good on this one. Keep it.

Track bars tend to wear out fast on 'em. Same with ball joints. Much the same as our XJ's - the suspension design is damn near the same. They'll get death-wobble just like the XJ's...... every truck I've had has developed DW to some degree when the steering damper goes bad and the track bar gets worn out.

For your trucks body specifically - those doors tend to "clap" on washboard/rough roads. Kinda freaky. That cab design is one of Dodge's worst. But, never had a problem with them leaking or springing open, they just don't like to be shaken.

You'll notice that the top edge of your windshield appears to be missing the rubber trim. It's supposed to be like that. My '04 was like that when I first bought it and I took it in and asked that it be replaced, thinking it'd blown off or never installed at the factory...... the service writer took me out to the lot and showed me all the other trucks were like that.

1500 trucks go through brakes pretty quickly, so if you don't know the status of your truck's brakes, get them looked at. Spend the money on the high quality front pads.... unless you like your front wheels black..... :D

The worst issue is the heat/AC box blend door issue. You didn't post what year your truck is, but most in that body style will develop this problem. It's a big fix - dash has to come all the way out, HVAC box unit has to come out on a bench, opened, and blend door replacement parts put in. Blend door seizes in a position that either keeps things cold, hot or in between but won't adjust. My '04 I just traded in for the '11 had that problem for the past 3 years..... never could do without the truck long enough to get it fixed..... now it's the dealership's problem...... :D

However, I envy your cup holders........ Dodge fawked up the ones in the '11. :mad:

Track bars tend to wear out fast on 'em. Same with ball joints. Much the same as our XJ's - the suspension design is damn near the same. They'll get death-wobble just like the XJ's...... every truck I've had has developed DW to some degree when the steering damper goes bad and the track bar gets worn out.

For your trucks body specifically - those doors tend to "clap" on washboard/rough roads. Kinda freaky. That cab design is one of Dodge's worst. But, never had a problem with them leaking or springing open, they just don't like to be shaken.

You'll notice that the top edge of your windshield appears to be missing the rubber trim. It's supposed to be like that. My '04 was like that when I first bought it and I took it in and asked that it be replaced, thinking it'd blown off or never installed at the factory...... the service writer took me out to the lot
and showed me all the other trucks were like that.

1500 trucks go through brakes pretty quickly, so if you don't know the status of your truck's brakes, get them looked at. Spend the money on the high quality front pads.... unless you like your front wheels black..... :D

The worst issue is the heat/AC box blend door issue. You didn't post what year your truck is, but most in that body style will develop this problem. It's a big
fix - dash has to come all the way out, HVAC box unit has to come out on a bench, opened, and blend door replacement parts put in. Blend door seizes in a position that either keeps things cold, hot or in between but won't adjust. My '04 I just traded in for the '11 had that problem for the past 3 years..... never could do without the truck long enough to get it fixed..... now it's the dealership's problem...... :D

Right on. Thanks Troy. I'll keep an eye out and check the brakes asap. It's a 2004 btw.

Good choice Jonathan. I remember when I had my 5.9 Durango... hauled ASS!

400 hp and 1200 lb ft of torque win sir and I has lots of rubber to put it down
If need I need 4wd to tow I dong need to be towing
While a half ton is a Multiple purpose rig I bought mine stricly to tow hard and and fast

Do you realize that you said "dong" and "hard and fast" in the same post?

All the tractor's I work on save a few are 6x6's on 50ish" tires. So booyah.

Sweet truck Surf, I like those a lot. When I was stationed at Fort Hood there was a red one that my buddies and I would rent almost every weekend. It was a sweet truck for sure.

Oh yeah, and Go MOPAR!!!!! (says the newly converted)

Well, I think I kinda goofed Jonathan.

Your truck is independant front suspension isn't it? I've only owned solid axle front trucks since the '99 Dodge. So, all that info about track bars and what not isn't gonna apply to your rig.

No, because yours has an open diff so its 2wd with both wheels on the same corner.

I'm probably just being paranoid, but I notice a tick in the engine that sounds either like a noisy lifter or exaust leak. It only took me a matter of seconds to find that tons of people have this ticking, and some have written it off as "a dodge thing". I'm just wondering if you guys have any insight into this. Just google "ram 5.7 HEMI tick" and you will find an abundance of complaints.

So whatcha think? Anyone experienced this HEMI tick?

Damn near everybody that has the tick, according to the interwebz, has no issue. I'd say you have nothing to worry about there.

Back