• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Car Audio: Nothing But Static

afterfrancesca

NAXJA Forum User
My apologies for the lack of knowledge, hoping to get some insight. I'm not an electrical guru by ANY means..

Snagged an 88 Waggy XJ with an aftermarket Sony XR-6180 cassette/radio and I refuse to upgrade (just want to keep the cassette feature honestly) but no matter what, radio or popping a tape in, it's all static. I haven't done much digging or tinkering because I don't want to make anything worse, but is this a ground issue or should I take the unit apart and clean it (surely it can't be too hard right?) or if it's toast I'll be on the hunt for more of an oem unit I suppose. Any and all help appreciated!

IMG-4939.jpg

Good luck with that! There's a reason they don't sell vacuum tubes anymore!

Speakers? Speaker wires? Speakers get blown. And for me its a CD player. Bought a head unit for my Chevy Avalanche. Getting a CD player really limited me.

Those types of drives never did belong in Jeeps. They always fail do to dirt and vibration. Today's media players don't have any moving parts and are at least 1/3 lighter and shorter, and now with terabyte thumb drives can store 1000's of songs and are WiFi, Bluetooth compatible along with hands free cell phone use.

I looked on line for a manual on your head unit. Possibly issue would be the amplifiers are blown. You do have the option of RCA plugs to run an amplifier. Also, it might be the wiring adapter between the head unit and the factory wiring. Check that. See if they used crimps or soldier the wires together. Soldering is better. Also, check the ground there. See if there is one directly from the head unit to something body metal. I'd see about attaching a speaker for there also, temporarily. A know good speaker.

Back