• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building a sound system for the XJ

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my goal. I want a system that when I listen to it, I smile, and other people's jaws drop. I want chest thumping bass, but it has to be clear. Like a bass drum at a live concert. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being stock and 10 being comp systems, I'd say I'm looking at a 6 or a 7.

I can't do any custom fiberglass and such, but I can cut holes with a holesaw (tweeters in the A-pillar won't be a problem if necessary.)
I can probably spend $1000-$1500, and that's the most important part, I'll tone my system down to fit the budget.
Speaker gurus, help me out here.

head unit of choice (300 $ max) there are some nice ones out there now for even less - go with a good alpine, panasonic or pioneer

amp: 2 channel with at least 300 rms - expect up to 400$ for an amp - i would go with fosgate or kicker but i have seen good results with mtx and pioneer

speakers - go with a good 2 way 6.5 stock replacement - infinity, etc... about 150 for all 4

that leaves about 300 for subs and box - sounds like you need two 12's - type R or equivelent for clarity

last 100 or so would be wires ( 4 gauge or bigger) and install unless you can do it ureself - and if u have change get a 1 farad cap

some options:
In dash units:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8699321&type=product&id=1199494646121

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8699296&type=product&id=1199494645981

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8739797&type=product&id=1201913868299

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8677149&type=product&id=1197678340151

most of these are about 220$ - I honestly think spending 2 bills on a headunit is good - you also could spend 150 on a entry level model and put that extra hunded towards a cap or better amp

amp

decent for 2 ohms at about 300 bucks

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8772535&type=product&id=1203815922943

subs:

JL, Alpine or Infiniti should work

Just some options!

hes pretty much dead on.

personally i would run a JL w3v3 in a 12 inch with some pioneer speakers and an alpine headunit. that would blare and sound amazing

I've been looking at Alpine headunits for a while, the main question I have is, is 2volts pre-amp out vs. 4 volts pre-amp out going to make a big difference?
I like to think I have audiophile ears, I can tell the difference between Itunes downloaded stuff and CDs on good speaker systems, but is the extra 2 volts of pre-amp out worth the extra $100 for the Alpine?
Also, will having tweeters in the A-pillars make much of a difference? I don't really have any experience with that, so I'm just wondering.
Edit: Also, wouldn't I want a 4 channel amp for the speakers? None of this is meant to be argumentative, I'm just trying to understand everything so I can do it myself next time :)

Last edited:
no...they wont make a huge difference, but the sound on the alpine is farrrrrrrrrrrr better then any other headunit made. ive had an alpine in every car ive ever had. i bought a i pioneer once cuz it was cheaper and i tore it out and threw it in the trash.

yes a 4 channel for the door speakers is ideal but honestly not needed if you are going with a quality headunit - just run some good speaker wire to the speakers and get rid of the stock 16 or 18 ga

as far as the volt out on the preamp - bah dont bother spending 100 xtra bones

tweeters in the a pillar are doable but if u go with components it is easier and cleaner to mount the tweeter higher on the door panel like the the handle, etc

also forgot to add mb quart and polk to door speakers - very nice!

i hate to say it though but u can be frugal and pick something in great shape of craigslist like subs and a box - u might want to get the amp though through a retailer so u can get warranty - the atlanta craigslist is full of great stuff and i have had good dealings buying and selling

The systems I have had, there has a big difference between 2v and 4v preout power. It is the amount going into the amp that gets amplified. Take into consideration also that I have never been able to spend a huge amount on my systems, But, I shopped for quality and price together. My fav head unit has been my original model Kameleon from JVC. If you can drop $1500, I would check at a shop that offers installs (most are free, especially whnen you spend that kind of cash). Around here we have Custom sounds, Reliable, and few others like circuit city and bestbuy. I am not a fan of CC or BB installs, the custom shops have more invested in your system by reputation. Hell, you may get stickers for advertising :)

I've been looking at Alpine headunits for a while, the main question I have is, is 2volts pre-amp out vs. 4 volts pre-amp out going to make a big difference?
I like to think I have audiophile ears, I can tell the difference between Itunes downloaded stuff and CDs on good speaker systems, but is the extra 2 volts of pre-amp out worth the extra $100 for the Alpine?
Also, will having tweeters in the A-pillars make much of a difference? I don't really have any experience with that, so I'm just wondering.
Edit: Also, wouldn't I want a 4 channel amp for the speakers? None of this is meant to be argumentative, I'm just trying to understand everything so I can do it myself next time :)

Looked into the speakers, what about http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Prod...52000&i=108637I&tp=95&tab=review&rvm=ShowAllt
I figured I'd put them in all 4 OEM positions. Opinions?
and http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Prod...20&i=2068ZX3504&tp=115&tab=features_and_specs for an amp

For the subs, I think I'm going to run http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=520&i=13612W3V34&tp=111 with http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=120&i=500MRPM450&tp=115 driving it. Then once I free up some more cash, I'll buy a dual 12" box, a second one of those subs, and wire them in parallel.
My main concern is actually being able to hear the clear bass from the trunk... I'm planning on the 4 OEM positions to provide the mids and highs, and the sub to do all of the lows.
Edit: How would I go about wiring 4 speakers to a 2 channel amp? Wire them in Parallel/series?

Last edited:
out of all the hdu's you listed the alpine 9886 is the best one on there. With the pioneer I would run the 600ub not the 700bt. It looks better and do you really want to spend the extra money on bluetooth for the 700? Subs I would also agree with the JL 12w3-v3.

a thought.
would some sound deadening material be a worthwhile upgrade for a system like this one he's putting together?

please whatever you do, after its installed, turn it up, stand outside the Jeep and listen for rattles.

nothing I dislike more than a silly Cherry Bomb muffled Ricer... than hearing the rattles from the subs only system they have, chattering the license plate, truck, jack, spare, everything.

please get rid of the rattles, if there are any.

Check out Sonic Electronix and other online retailers before you buy something from Best Buy. You can frequently get whatever you want for much less elsewhere. Hell, some of the nice head units I've been looking at have been cheapest at NewEgg of all places, originally a computer hardware retailer, but now expanding into consumer electronics in a big way.

I like the sound on the Alpine head units, but from what I've seen, if you get one then use the remote as much as possible. A few of my friends who use the actual buttons and volume control have all had rattling loos knobs/buttons after a while. Pioneer may not be considered great or anything, but I've never had a problem with their build quality.

I plan on upgrading my system soon too, and will probably be looking at the Infinity door speakers and a good 4 channel to run them through, but not decided on the amp yet.

the newer alpines have had less and less problems.

my current one is a year old and i lost the remote after about 2 weeks and have been touching it ever since and i havent had any problems. its flawless.

Oh another thing. don't buy Monster Cable, it's b.s. hype, and no better than other cheaper stuff. Dynamat would be a good investment though

the newer alpines have had less and less problems.

my current one is a year old and i lost the remote after about 2 weeks and have been touching it ever since and i havent had any problems. its flawless.
Good to know, I might check them out when I'm looking for a new deck

Last edited:
yeah best buy was the easiest way for links with good info and pics - i agree about new egg - been using them since 1999 i think for comp parts... yeah sound deadening is going to be need and also check your eletrical system like alternator and battery - this sytem is going to put some major strain on em if they are not in good shape... other than that tint your windows so it doesnt get jacked!

I've just started on my build, and it seems atleast on my 99 that you dont need deadening material. If you do go with Dynomat i've heard horror story's of that cheap stuff they sell coming loose and being a big mess in hot weather. I did the old ladies cobalt from front to back in dynomat the cheapest place i found was amazon.com. As far as the system listen to the other threads. Tweaters, a 2 channel amp for the subs, 4 channel amp for the other four speakers. Personally I upgraded my battery brought 2ga wire all the way to the back into a distro block 8 ga into my 2 channel amp, 8ga to my 4 channel amp, and also 8ga into my 2 farad cap. Then i used another distro block for grounds. If you take your time and think ahead and have basic wiring skills you can do the install yourself. Good luck keep us posted.

head unit- best quality for the money is definitely eclipse. 7200 if you can afford it, 3200 if you can't. if you're going with a 4-channel amp, definitely get the 7200. it has 8v pre-amp outputs, and the quality is just amazing.
speakers- infinity reference all the way. you don't necessarily need components (speaker and tweeter separate), but if you want some sound right at ear level, get them.
amp/sub-kicker zx400 and 12" CVR
if you're looking for more boom, get the zx750 and 12" L5

umm here is a 9! its his DD

TimsJeep.jpg

thewall.jpg

he made it to db drags world finals this year No its hasn't been dirty except that one time its a damn shame

That is the old setup he is working on a new one as we speak. 20k watts rms aka RETARDED!

Back