• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buggy Build

Michael,

Having recently been through a bit of a project... my advice is to start with a core component. Let that starting point set the tone of the build and design each system, in the same vein, built with to the same level of quality.

May I suggest starting here: http://www.portal-tek.com/cart/inde..._id=14&zenid=e63d5afddf0f61b82ce0d703d2980185

Regretfully this suggestion comes without funding. :wave1:

Cheers,
Matt

One of those is essentially the cost of a TruHi 9, so for a few grand more you can have a portal'd and flipped Junkyard 9 third member...

-Alex

So, here is where I am at. The original plan kind of got out of hand, and would have taken a lot of time and money to build (along the lines of portal tek, lots of power, big tires) I just can't justify either the time or the money at this point in my life and so I have decided to cancel that build (at least at the moment). With this in mind, the single part of the build that is MOST important to me is designing and building the chassi. So, in order to ACTUALLY get to do this portion of the project I am trying to come up with a build that I can actually justify (less money and time).

What I am designing around is the tires (37").
The next priority is SMALL (2 seats) minimalistic design, about 105" WB.
As much as I like the Idea of 9" and 609, it just adds significant time, money and weight that I don't need. So I am thinking the toy axles will be plenty and match the rest of the build for reasonable money and time.
This leads to the rest of the drivetrain. Toy engine/tranny and doubler TC are common, cheap and could easily come with my axles If I wanted. On the other hand I could also go with a Honda rear engine as an alternative also.

So, here are the trade offs I see between the Honda and Toy:
1. Similar power and reliability.
2. Rear engine with the Honda is a benefit.
3. Lower crawl ratio possible with the Toy doubler is a benefit.
4. Less weight, less room, shorter drivetrain with the Honda.

I know it is so "last year" but I really think that for the money/time the Honda powered, toy axles, 2 seat buggy is the most likely at the moment.
The things I believe I am compromising with this build are the following:
1. No front or rear digs
2. No ultra low crawl ratio
3. No High HP capabilities

I think I can handle these compromises for this build and it will allow me to start it much sooner than if I didn't make these compromises. Plus, who knows, maybe after this one I can build another later without the compromises ;)

Michael

So what started as a Range Rover trail limo on 49's and a blown 572 has devolved into a run of the mill Reiter Yota buggy? Say it ain't so! You went to Embry-Riddle for christ's sake, at least do something different and cool like a sideways mounted rear engine Honda buggy, or something.

;)

-----Matt-----

honda s2000 f20c 2 liter with a blower, wouldn't need to turn it sideways!

I guess this is one of the reasons I started this thread, so that I could go around and around and around and around and who knows if I ever end up anywhere different than I started :D

I think that the rear engine Honda buggies are great ideas, and it matches what I want in almost all categories. However, I really don't know if I want a rear engine. There are obviously some advatages but I don't that many of them match what I want from this buggy? And since it has been done several times now I am kind of leaning to something a little more "different".

I am currently considering the Acura Legend 2.7 V6. It is an aluminum V6 with good power and good gearing for a front engine/transaxle buggy. They are cheap which is an added bonus. This seems like a reasonable compromise of weight/power/money and puts me back in a front engine (which I really think that I prefer the idea of at the moment). What scares me is that i can't find any examples of others that have done this and I wonder if there is a reason for this that i am missing.

I am warming up to the rear steer idea also, just not sure on the added weight and money.

Michael

Here's a Toyota based buggy we saw at TSF this weekend for a little motivation.
IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

Back