• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget 4.10's

projectTK said:
how bout jrock instead of finding axles in a junkyard u just pay the money and get it done right instead of mixmatching shit and hope it stays together.

Nothing wrong with junkyard axles

now if he pulled axles without researching it here first and just took the wrecker's word for it... that would be stupid.

gill41083 said:
so how do you figure out if the 4 bangers have 4.10's with out popping a diff cover off, some guy wants to trade me his jeep for my hunting rifle and all i want is the diffs

you can also turn the axle shaft two full revolutions with the other shaft fixed and count how many revolutions the pinion makes makes...should be 4.10 turns.

J-Roc said:
I didn't want to turn this into a fuel economy thread but... speedo correction is calculated (10%), no the right foot is feather light... no jack rabbiting, shifts around 2000 (auto). 4.10 sounds like I'll be slightly overgeared so that should help in the city, which is what I am hoping for, highway regardless will always be better then city mileage so if I can turn it up to 16mpg in the city and 18ish on the highway I'll be a happy camper, if I can do better... sweet!

Well, you certainly won't hate 4.10's with 31's:)

I still think you should look deeper for other problems with your rig...clogging cat/exhaust, chafed vac line to the MAP sensor, clogged solid air filter, etc. 31's don't usually make them run that poorly.

4 cyl/5 spd axles are kind of tough to find...but that's a good way to go. A front diff from an MJ with the same 4 cyl/5 spd will bolt right into your application, but will likely have a disco.

I have taken the 4.10's directly from my stock vaccume disco axel and swaped them over into a non disco housing. No set up was required. I just droped them right in and checked the gear patern and backlash. Have 25k on them witthout a problem

1999mj said:
I have taken the 4.10's directly from my stock vaccume disco axel and swaped them over into a non disco housing. No set up was required. I just droped them right in and checked the gear patern and backlash. Have 25k on them witthout a problem

See, this is what I was told was possible, that is why I created this thread...
Did you literally unbolt the carrier and yank it all out then grabbed the pinion, torqued it to spec and double check your pattern and everything was fine?
That was what I was told I could do with a used gear set... is it the right way? No not really but it was definitely a cheaper alternative.

If you don't mind 1999mj
could you direct me to a write or a step by step process of what you did for the gear-retarded people like myself.

Back