• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke oil pressure sensor thing- I can drive right?

funvtec said:
not to jack the thread but it seems like his question has been solved.

i just have a quick simple question.

my 88's gauge is always pegged and doesn't move will replacing the sensor fix the problem?

Yes, that's usually the problem with a pegged OP gauge

jpars said:
Oh okay, I was under the impression thats what one guy said, but you wanted me to screw it physically into the metal thing, as opposed to removing it all. Understood now. Thanks

I thought you were talking about the funky metal adapter mounted to/screwed to/whatever the engine block. Yes, I wanted you to remove the remnants of the oil pressure sensor all along - that's how I knew what size plug you'd need (I was going off of the drilled/tapped hole that the sensor proper screws into, not the remnants of the sensor itself.)

The sensor takes a funky socket when you put a new one in - but you can remove the old one handily using a pair of channel-lock pliers, or (maybe) a crescent wrench. Pliers are probably easier - once you break it loose, you can use your fingers the rest of the way.

Tommy4949 said:
Uh, what's wrong with changing the sensor? The Oil Pressure sender for my 92 4.0 was only $15...

Don't know - but I can understand not having even $15 lying about. However, spending even two or three bucks in this case is going to probably save thousands, so I do advise that the two or three bucks is spent.

Having been to college - twice so far - I don't have any real trouble understanding it. I'd still like to know why college texts cost so damn much...

5-90 said:
I'd still like to know why college texts cost so damn much...
:) haha totally off topic but...

In relation to normal book demand, demand for textbooks is really low. There is a very, very small demographic buying any certain book- 1) college students, and 2) college students in that exact class, so the quantities of the books they produce are very low. Couple that with the absolute requirement for textbooks, (college can't operate without them), and they can charge whatever they want.

The real crime, though, is that they control the used book market. You know your college textbooks that are like the 9th edition? They constantly release 'required' new editions of the same texts and stop producing the old ones, which forces people to buy the new editions, as some people keep their books, books get worn out etc. and there are eventually not e nough around to keep using that same edition.

it's a crime! my books were like 418 bucks this term.

and yes, I am literally so broke I have about .76 in my bank account, haha

jpars said:

In relation to normal book demand, demand for textbooks is really low. There is a very, very small demographic buying any certain book- 1) college students, and 2) college students in that exact class, so the quantities of the books they produce are very low. Couple that with the absolute requirement for textbooks, (college can't operate without them), and they can charge whatever they want.

The real crime, though, is that they control the used book market. You know your college textbooks that are like the 9th edition? They constantly release 'required' new editions of the same texts and stop producing the old ones, which forces people to buy the new editions, as some people keep their books, books get worn out etc. and there are eventually not e nough around to keep using that same edition.

What I hated was that the texts were "required." You couldn't attend without the book. Most, (75%), of the classes didn't even use the stupid books. You just took notes in class, took the tests and used the books as extra weight in the rear of your XJ for added traction in the winter :wierd:

Tommy4949 said:
What I hated was that the texts were "required." You couldn't attend without the book. Most, (75%), of the classes didn't even use the stupid books. You just took notes in class, took the tests and used the books as extra weight in the rear of your XJ for added traction in the winter :wierd:

I cheat the system though on a lot of classes. Little known secret for anyone here- If you are at a decently big college, or decently competent college, the Library has probably a 90% chance of keeping major class texts on reserve, here you can only rent class texts out for like 3 hours.

Instead of buying the accounting text I needed, every week I just photocopy the chapter out of the book at the library. Probably spent about 10 bucks all term as opposed to 160 on that book.

jpars said:

Yeah, I know. But if I had money to buy the books, I wouldn't need to go to college.

I took a course in O Chem back in 1987. I think that ran me about $900 in books and rot - for one stinkin' course! I didn't take any more O Chem courses...

5-90 said:
Having been to college - twice so far - I don't have any real trouble understanding it. I'd still like to know why college texts cost so damn much...
Getting OT here....but it's not so much that they cost so much (well, ok maybe it is)....but more so the fact that you get jack crap back when you go to "return" them.

Bought all my books this semester off Amazon and saved a good bit. Got them all shipped to me in a very reasonable time too. I got tired of ordering through the bookstore, only to find out the professor doesn't really use the books, which in turn means we'll never really use them, which in turn means I just threw a couple hundred bucks down the drain.

And I definitely get the broke college kid thing....i'm one myself!

Back