• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake service

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Have anyone repaired the brake caliper? I noticed there were pistons and seals on sale at a fraction of the cost of a complete caliper. Is this a worth while venture? If so, what special handling is/are needed to re-assembly the unit/s?

This is the rear 1996 ZJ units that have been retrofitted to the XJ in 2007. It still have the very nagging right caliper sticking at city street stop lights and heating up. If unstuck, it work perfect. Rooling down the highway with little or no brake use there is never a problem. I want to re-do both sides but there is not enough money in the kitty for both at this time includng the hoses at/on the calipers.

Your biggest concern would be if the inside of the caliper bore where the piston rides has any substantial rust. In that case, a rebuild kit won't fix the issue.

What I think I will do is take the problem unit apart and inspect it before I go out and buy parts. If inside the piston bore is good I will clean it up with some 600 sand paper then try to rebuild it. If they are good enough to rebuild, it will cost less than $10.00 per side to rebuild.

I would also like to install an extended rear brake hose that will work for 3.5" of lift and the caliper hoses at the same time. I think I saw something about a Durango rear brake hose? I will have to look it up. I already have longer stainless steel braided hoses on the front.

Congratulations on choosing a wise course of action for a DIY project.

You will learn by doing it, and are being a little "green" in the process.

Back