• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BP/Amoco gas bad all over??

My '85 XJ with the 2.5 L doesn't like BP - fouls the plugs with anti-knock compound. I fueld up at other stations and don't have this problem...

It's weird, I just filled up with Speedway 87 octain from a station just down the road from the BP I've been buying at (The were a couple of cents cheaper, and I got their rewards card while I was at it) on my way into work today and it seems to have regained all that it lost, and then some?!

I think there is a lot of misconception about gasoline out there. Few people realize that ALL gasoline comes from the same refineries in the U.S., which import crude from all over the world. Once refined into gasoline it is pipelined to the individual gas companies that add there own blend of detergents and additives and stick there label on it. Statements that some companies gasoline is "better" than another's, or from a different region of the world are ignorant. What is different is the detergent/additive blends put into the gasoline after refinement by the different gas companies. There are also contanimation issues that can occur in the delivery and storage of fuel in route to the end user. Almost all "bad gas" issues result from continamation of water intrusion, diesel intrusion, etc and these usually are the result of poor storage by the local stations.

Thats true, the only reason I use BP (Amoco gas) and Chevron is because I've been told over and over again that they use the best additives. The XJ runs great on it and my neighborhood BP is very competively priced so why not use them? :D

bjoehandley said:
It's weird, I just filled up with Speedway 87 octain from a station just down the road from the BP I've been buying at (The were a couple of cents cheaper, and I got their rewards card while I was at it) on my way into work today and it seems to have regained all that it lost, and then some?!
I like Speedway and Ashland there both the same and use USA crude oil only.

There are also contanimation issues that can occur in the delivery and storage of fuel in route to the end user. Almost all "bad gas" issues result from continamation of water intrusion said:
I never really thought about contamiation at the station recently. I guess that's one of the good things about the environmental laws here in sunny Cali. All of the gas stations have had to replace their old leaking tanks in the last few years. Must be why she runs fine on anything here, it's all clean.

I've been using BP for years in all my vehicles and lawn equipment (I do lawn maint). Not a problem. The State Troopers fill up there too. Once in a great while I go to the Speedy-Q across the street, it's a few cents cheaper but it's gasahol, haven't had a problem there. Other than that there is a MacDonalds/(Marathon) gas station and a 7-11 (Citgo) station near by. The same truck drops off gas for both! It's marked "Blue Water Oil". (It's from Port
Huron, Mi., There's a large bridge to Canada there called the Blue Water Bridge... hence the name.) They're a big dist. around here. If you drive by their depot they only have a few tanks so it all comes from the same place.

The only rule I have when getting gas is NEVER get it when the truck is dumping new fuel, It churns up all the sediment in the tank.

My 2cents worth.

2001XJeep said:
Statements that some companies gasoline is "better" than another's, or from a different region of the world are ignorant. What is different is the detergent/additive blends put into the gasoline after refinement by the different gas companies. There are also contanimation issues that can occur in the delivery and storage of fuel in route to the end user. Almost all "bad gas" issues result from continamation of water intrusion, diesel intrusion, etc and these usually are the result of poor storage by the local stations.

The gas in the pipeline is not all the same. They pump in some of "A", then some of "B"... and the guys on the other end suck off the different batches thru the pipe. Cheap chains buy the "in between" stuff...

And each company adds their own additives to the mix, usually while filling the truck.

My Jeep pings lightly on BP/Amoco. Occasionally does on Exxon. Never had that problem with Marathon (which isn't local)... or with BP "before they had Amoco gas". My Stratus would ping heavily on BP/Amoco, but was just fine on Exxon. Sheetz is the big local cheepie... and all my cars have pinged on their 87... I have to drive in a lower gear on upgrades... and my mileage goes down 10% because of it.

So I don't like it when people tell me that "all gas is the same".

Den

Back