• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boxed (Sleeved) Frame Progress

Other than Matt's query, the only question I have is this: Since you are essentially building an external (to the unibody) frame, won't any place where the partial-box ends and the factory frame takes over be compromised? Basically what I am saying is that from the x-member rearwards, you have the factory frame. Forwards, you have the boxing. Seems to me like you are transfering a lot of stress to the point where the frame-change happens. Especially since that's where those swank-ass long arms mount. Gotta give you (I assume) credit on some of the other welds, namely the long arm subframe and whatever is in the top right of your first pic.

As far as the screw issue goes? Who cares what he used? This post is about you and your mods you chose to post pics of. If I wanted to hear displacement, I would watch more politcal coverage. No one deals well with criticism there. Just remember that Terry had a valid point: some of us are professionals at fabrication and criticizing is congenital at this point. His initial comment was legit and that's that.

All in all, keep up the work. I like what I've seen of the rig.

-Rich

I only commented to throw a little crap at ya (look at my rep.). I think the overall progress is really good and it's nice to see another coilover rig. :) As for the plug welds or rosettes, that's really the right way to do this. You tack your sleeve together, remove it from the rig & fully weld everything, grind the welds in your case, then reinstall & use rosettes in a spread pattern every 3 or 4 inches, or even cut some slots if you want to get fancy. This will hold the two pieces of material together much better than a big old stitch that's supposed to weld & not weaken the frame sheetmetal.

And yes, I've sleeved a portion of my uniframe this way & it works well. I used a 9/16" bit to stagger the rosette holes along the length of the sleeve. You end up with a sleeve that aint going no where & can't deform away from the frame.

-jb

THE_OWL said:
No plug welds, thats a waste,

Owl, this is perhaps the most ignorant comment you've made on this thread.

Hey, don't get so defensive, these guys are trying to help!

it is not too late for plug welds, and I HIGHLY suggest you put them in instead of introdcuing new stress risers into your framerails by through-bolting.

the welds on the frame plates are TOO cold!

don't rush!

get back to it and do it right!

What you've done is add a second sheet of paper & pasted the edges together. Take the pasted pages & flex them around
actually the boxing consists of 7 pieces for the Passenger side. At each break it is welded to the frame and to each other.
You tack your sleeve together, remove it from the rig & fully weld everything
that sleeve aint going no where. There is so many odd curves and contours, it would never slide over as one piece.
Owl, this is perhaps the most ignorant comment you've made on this thread.
I can be ignorant and defensive all I want, Im on the internet! You cant punch me in the mouth.
But I will take the suggestion of plug welds to heart, I am taking advice from a tube frame/buggy builder of 25 years. He said they werent necessary.

THE_OWL said:
But I will take the suggestion of plug welds to heart, I am taking advice from a tube frame/buggy builder of 25 years. He said they werent necessary.

Has he ever built on a unibody?
Anyone who says putting plate over plate without rosette welds is OK, never has had any real experience with the situation of doing so. PERIOD!

I love to hear all the rebuttals from you OWL, you're getting great criticism from some of the most experienced XJ builders in the world and you sound like they know nothing.

First, if you want to tell people who HAVE built some great XJs they don't know what the hell they are talking about, LEARN HOW TO WELD! It will help show you might have a clue.

xjguy welds better than you!

If you don't want the criticism here go do as someone suggest and show it on JU, they usually don't have a clue either.

hinkley

First, if you want to tell people who HAVE built some great XJs they don't know what the hell they are talking about, LEARN HOW TO WELD! It will help show you might have a clue.
Are you done? Cuz I dont see any post where I said, "you dont know what the hell youre talking about"
Funny thing about this "club", when I post a tech question about doing something, I get one or two responses, even after I do a "BTT".
But when I post pics, all the critics come out and compare my Jeep to theirs and comment about what I need to do different.
For the last time, the original post says, they look like ass and some are just tacked. It seems everyone that posts wants to remind me of that. And finally I dont know if this guy has done any UniBody work, But months ago when I started it, I didnt get any advice from the "club" I paid to be a member of.

This will be the last time I post on this thread.
I can take critisicm, I can take pokes at my welding, The comment about grinding before I post pics made me angry.
Theres a right way to criticize and a P4x4 way. Ask beezil, vintage and fullsize etc.
Helpful suggestions that dont come off as "My Jeep is better than yours" kinda way.
Thanks for the help from those who helped
Aaron

have we droped so far as to be compared to pbb? sad day for :NAXJA:

XJ_ranger said:
have we droped so far as to be compared to pbb? sad day for :NAXJA:

It must be his anger blinding him.

If it was pirate, they would have really given him sheit!

But then he did tell us all, ever if he can't remember, "rosette welds aren't worht a sheit".

hinkley

Another vote for the plug welds......I know it can be hard to weld the thick plate to the thin uni rails, however, you might want to practice on some smaller scrap pieces first.....I'm speaking from experience in that the school I went to I had to pass competinces on welding sheet metal to plate or tube, so practice and it will come.....If your completely against the plug welds and want to run bolts, make sure you sleeve them.

I hope you don't get too offended about this thread, if anything, it might help your future projects.....I know my current projects always benifited from my old ones;)

Justin

Okie Terry said:
What you did was fuse two pieces of metal together, and fusion is good, but penetration is what it's all about. Turn your heat up and your wire speed down.

not to butt in but I am with Okie on this one. If your worried about burining in to the sub frame run your bead like a c and that will give the thinner metal a little break. I know Im not a teacher and cant explain crap well but I hope you get the point.
Not trying to diss on you just educate thats all.
Shaggy

13.jpg

grinded.jpg

:bs:
Yeah thats a definate photo chop. Either that or he ground on to his oil pan. They are the same pic, he just used the smudge tool. And thats not even a good one.

CW said:
Yeah thats a definate photo chop. Either that or he ground on to his oil pan. They are the same pic, he just used the smudge tool. And thats not even a good one.

Yeah I'm going to agree. :shhh:

CW said:
13.jpg

grinded.jpg

:bs:

and the soot marks weren't touched byt he wire brush?

come awn owl.....what the fuck?

I say we drop this topic, he knows where his faults are, he knows what he need to do, if he doesnt, it will catch up to him on the trail one day. Besides that lets move on....

-Red

Back