• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boxed (Sleeved) Frame Progress

Sometimes it's so hard to convey sarcasm in type.

Anyway, you posted the pics in the first place. Did you want everyone to say how great it looks? Post them at JU if you need positive reinforcement for something like that. You know damn well, if you put those pics up here, they're gonna get criticized and broken down.

Search my crappy rig page all you want, but you aren't going to find any pics of bad craftsmanship. I have more pride in my workmanship than that.

Just to rehash:
THE_OWL said:
Or maybe I should use wood screws to hold my fenders together.
Maybe you havent used a welder before on thin stamped metal before, but if you leave it hot enough to puddle in the gap, it blows a hole in the unibody, thats why they were done in blotches, small one first then a larger one on top. It was done with the intention of bieng grinded.
is.php

Okie Terry said:
Well, the guy at the lumber yard said they would work :conceited . Like I said try again.

Jes said:
I only commented because that's what I used to hold in my inner fenders.

Now will you guys quit SCREWING around?

Or better yet, keep at it, I'm going for popcorn.

Bryan

Now its bad craftmenship?
Some of the welds are just tacked, and a lot of grinding still needs to be done. A few spots look like ass, because we had to "fill".
I said it in the original post. its rough tacks, and filled areas.
I did search your page and all I saw was a bolt-on ass Jeep from a guy who is president of his own fan club.

THE_OWL said:
Now its bad craftmenship?

I said it in the original post. its rough tacks, and filled areas.
I did search your page and all I saw was a bolt-on ass Jeep from a guy who is president of his own fan club.
13.jpg

is.php

is.php

I see your point now. I didnt realize what you considered quality craftmenship.
Did u get those oversized loose nuts from the lumber yard also? and the paint over rust?
These wouldnt happen to be the same "sheet-metal" screws holding the rubber to your fender thats holding your skid plate/whatever it is to the frame?
is.php

quality craftmenship, I get it now

Owl, I like alot of things about your rig, and have for awhile, but these don't even look like they belong on your rig. My junk may have many bolt-on parts, but there are just as many hand fabbed parts. I am a welder by trade and when I see weld jobs like this I can't keep quiet, it comes naturally. All I have left to say is, next time think about what forum your posting pictures of crap on. Welds like that may be the norm around your area, but I don't want to be behind you on the highway. Sure, you can grind all the buggers down, but aren't you really just polishing turds? What you did was fuse two pieces of metal together, and fusion is good, but penetration is what it's all about. Turn your heat up and your wire speed down.

THE_OWL said:
is.php

is.php

I see your point now. I didnt realize what you considered quality craftmenship.
Did u get those oversized loose nuts from the lumber yard also? and the paint over rust?
These wouldnt happen to be the same "sheet-metal" screws holding the rubber to your fender thats holding your skid plate/whatever it is to the frame?
is.php

quality craftmenship, I get it now

fucking lame.

:rolleyes:

Terrie, I was fine with your post about Holy Crapwelds, I understand they are, I said they were rough and unfinished. But you seemed to want to provoke me with points about grinding them down first. If I had shot pics of them ground down, You and everyone else would say, wow thats cool lookin' and hey neato job. the post says Progress.
There is more penetration under those welds than I wanted, especially when I had my heat up to 5 and the speed at 40.
Instantly blew a hole The guy building the 40-80k Sandrails whose fab shop im at even gave a whack at it. Its not an easy task laying 8 feet of beads on a big gap and a stamped thin metal frame.

ha Burque.
I know your a local now :D
I live down across from the El pinto, on the river.
The Fab shop is up in $andia Heights
I drove up there real fast and did some grinding for you all.
Here is the best welds you have ever seen. I dare you to find a booger anywhere!
grinded.jpg

Owl, if you can't take the heat don't post the pics. You're begging for criticism with those pics, & especially with comments like this.

No plug welds, that’s a waste, I will run bolts through corresponding to the strips of 3/16" on the inner frame rails.
The truth is that those large flat sheets will offer little more than excess weight on your rig just being welded around the edges & without sleeving the frame where you put the bolts through they will just start to crush the rail & work loose.
Relax guys before this all gets out of hand.

Matt

Maybe I stated it wrong.
The bolts will go throught he outside, and the inner framrail will have a much thicker plate, it just wont be down the entire framerail. The way I see it, it will act like a plug except it travel all through the inside giving a plug at both ends as well as reinforcing the inner frame.
And yes I can take the heat. It was the bantor about grinding first that upset me.
the plating is welded at the top, underneath on both sides with the thicker straps on the inside. Thats plenty of frame to plate attachment, (I believe).
Its goal is to distibute the force from the shock hoops over a larger area and to add rigidity from flex from the tremendous weight in the front. sort of like the c-rok steering box plate, but continous.

THE_OWL said:
ha Burque.
I know your a local now :D
I live down across from the El pinto, on the river.
The Fab shop is up in $andia Heights
I drove up there real fast and did some grinding for you all.
Here is the best welds you have ever seen. I dare you to find a booger anywhere!
grinded.jpg

Is it just me or does something smell like PhotoChop? :)

Owl, you've done some great things to your XJ! I dig the coilovers and the 37x17 inch MT/R's.

The bolts will not act in the manner you're wanting. Think of the frame rail as a sheet of paper. What you've done is add a second sheet of paper & pasted the edges together. Take the pasted pages & flex them around. They can & will move independently of each other. Take the pages back apart & add some spots of paste evenly across the body of the page & stick them back together. The 2 pages now work as one. The bolt through the center will tighten things up for a short period of time, but with twisting & flexing it will crush in the rail untill the bolt is loose. You'll tighten the bolt & it will crush in more. Do one hole & tighten down the bolt. Look down the side of the rail & you'll be able to see the rail bowing inward. Although it may feel tight initially after a few days on the road or one trail ride it will only be snug. You will need to sleave those bolt holes so that those bolts have something for them to torque down against.

Matt

Back