• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown engine at 3000 miles-WTF?

Did you look at my post? That is a very possible reason.

Seems to me, if your story is accurate, IE: no overheating, and you didn't run low on oil, then the machine shop is culpable, and the following exchange is Jermain in coming to that conclusion:

Sparky:
"2. Plugs have nice sharp edges. They are black from the fw moments that the engine ran after it blew the rings."
OldMan:
"If the injectors were running lean enough to cause detonation, the plugs should show a lean burn. They don't."
Sparky:
"OK, so anyone have a reason why the Crank bearing would be shot? He's claiming that's a sure sign of detonation. True?"
Oldman:
"The scuffing could be caused by bearings that were set up too tight, loss of oil, or detonation. If it was detonation, the scuffing should be fairly pronounced and the main caps stretched out. Plastigage all the bearings and see what their clearances are.

Sparky, you need a second opinion from another professional engine re builder. You need to have them look at the plugs, the pistons, rings, cylinders, and bearings. You need to have them determine the ID of the main caps without bearings, and get their bottom line opinion in writing. Then, if the second opinion supports the hypotheses that the engine was set up wrong to start with,
put your position in writing and submit your request for remedy to the machine shop that did the work. If they still refuse to make good, fill a Small Claims Court action.
I don't recall if your machine shop replaced the sensors you discussed, or to what extent the completed the engine build after doing the machine work. The more complete their build, the easier it is to prove they are responsible, no matter what caused the problem.

Yeah, sounds like what I need to do, but to be honest, I'll probably "eat" the $600 to have him redo it at his "discounted" price. Unfortunately, right now he's the only game in town and I have to go on a business trip for the next few days. I just can't afford to screw around any more.

I'm kinda between a rock and a hard spot, seeing as how the engine is apart on his bench, and I gotta be in Portland tommorrow.

Its also the only machine shop in town after they bought up all the parts and machine shops in the area. The guy has a virtual monopoly.

Next engine I'll ship off to the flatlands.

Back