• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blowing amp fuses

Me007gold

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished installing an amp and subs, and i keep blowing fuses, either in the amp or the in line fuse, I have the amp grounded to the rear seat bolt. Is it possible that the problem is internally within the amp? I have the subs hooked up in parallel.

What gauge wire? What wattage on the amps? What amperage on the fuse? Is it a good ground (no resistance)? Short on the power lead? Wired correctly?

Try turning the amp on without the speakers/box connected. If it still blows the fuse then you know it's not the box, but the amp or power wiring; if it doesn't then you know it's an issue with the speakers or wiring of them. If you have an multimeter, measure the resistance of each speaker(each coil if it's a dvc). If a 4 ohm speaker/coil reads 0 ohms resistance(or much lower than four) it's shorting out the amp/putting a load that it can't handle. Is your amp 2 ohm stable? Some amps can't be bridged and then handle a 2 ohm load. What size fuse do you have @ the battery? What size fuses are in/on the amp? What gauge wire are you using(amp could be sucking more than what the wire can handle)?

Back