• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower controls

Danwa

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 cherokee. When I turn on the heater blower motor, my voltage seems to drop significantly, like from 14 down to about 9 volts on the gage. I have heard this may be a resistor problem. Does anyone know where the blower resistors are? in the controller itself? Thanks

I'm not shure for an 88 XJ but most XJ resistors are below dash in passenger side near a vaccum actuator and have two screws that hold it to the blower assembly, but If your voltage drop to much probably your blower bushings are dead and it drain to much amps to keep it running.

My 89 XJ was like that, until I upgraded the ground strap on the back of the head and added another ground from the negative battery cable to the body(I used one of the radiator support bolts to tie into). This made a huge difference. The factory ground strap is pretty thin and mine wasn't even bolted down and it cause my engine to cut out and not start when it wasn't making good contact. I bought a really heavy duty one at Autozone for $5 bucks and it solved all my problems. Give it a try.

Danwa said:
Thanks a lot Pioneer89xj for the grounding tip. I will give that a try. Thanks also panamaxj for the input.

No problem. The increased grounding is a really easy and cheap upgrade worth doing. The new XJs have it from the factory.

Back