• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bloody death wobble

It's really more like 3.5... :) Front is a little bit lower than the rear.

:hasta:

Well, now that we have beat this horse to death, lets start over...

You have replaced everything with -joint, -end, and -bushing in the name so your covered there.

Alignment = check

You say the caster is good.

Tires are balanced using actual weights, albeit a lot of weights.

Just for shits and giggles, have you checked your wheel bearings?

Do you have a drop pitman arm? This could be severe bump steer?

Before I get flamed, I am just trying to give ideas on where to check...

Update:

For grins I replaced the steering stabilizer with a beefier unit. One thing I noticed was that the old one had about 1" of slop.
So far I haven't had any death wobble, but then again I could go days between it to begin with. The entire front end feels like an entirely new truck. It's very smooth running down the highway, though between 50-55 mph it still feels like its getting a little loose. It's not even close to DW but it feels like it could quickly get there.

This weekend I'll be swapping in a ZJ tie rod setup. I've been wanting to do this for awhile anyway so we'll see.

In answer to the question about the tires. I'm running Treadwright M/T's on Goodyear A/T carcasses. Going and buying new tires isn't really an option right now, but StylerG has offered his up for a test, so later next week I'll be swapping his Maxxis Bighorns on and see what happens.

By the time I'm done I may just have a new axle under the front end. I've replaced enough of it. :)

This weekend I'll be swapping in a ZJ tie rod setup. I've been wanting to do this for awhile anyway so we'll see.

In answer to the question about the tires. I'm running Treadwright M/T's on Goodyear A/T carcasses. Going and buying new tires isn't really an option right now, but StylerG has offered his up for a test, so later next week I'll be swapping his Maxxis Bighorns on and see what happens.

I love my ZJ tie rod set up! I'm running Super Swamper Radials, and they give me a bit of shimmy between 55 and 70 mph, and that's balanced with Dynabeads.:banghead: But most of my root problem is my caster. I'm gonna get some adjustable control arms some day, and hopefully that will settle my rig down a good bit! Your tires should be ok, unless they're horribly worn, or chunked.

It seems like everything I've done over the last couple of weeks or so have helped out incrementally. I'm not entirely sure if there is any one thing I've done to helped the most, but it does seem like I'm death wobble free.
I did end of swapping in a zj tie rod setup on Friday. That seems to have tightened the front end down even more.

Awesome! Sometimes it's just lots of small things like in your case. Every time I feel a shimmy, I start checking and tightening before the DW returns in full force. Seems to work for me.

Back