• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blocks or aal?????

Aal.

or shackles, but no way should you get blocks

rokn92xj said:
why are blocks so bad??

Blocks are not that bad. Search and you can find some go info. The main reason that blocks are bad is due to the greater leverage they place on the leaf pack. This leads to spring wrap and bowing of your springs.

2DSCF0016.JPG

Search and you will find on how to use them properly.

ChuckD said:
Blocks are not that bad. Search and you can find some go info. The main reason that blocks are bad is due to the greater leverage they place on the leaf pack. This leads to spring wrap and bowing of your springs.

2DSCF0016.JPG

Search and you will find on how to use them properly.

:wstupid: I have two inch blocks (cheap lift factor) and have not had a problems with them.

How many steep grades of granite do you climb or how many steep hill climbs period.

I ran that setup for about 3 months, after that picture was taken I purchsed a set of RE 4.5" leaf packs.

There are a lot of factors to consider. Where do you wheel, how old are your OEM packs, what other mods have you done to achieve lift hieght. The thing is, springwrap just doesn't tear up your springs, look at my driveshaft. ;)

rokn92xj said:
why are blocks so bad??

We'll I'll tell you first hand. I ran blocks for about 6+ years, & no trouble at all, until a trip last month. I had a block break :scared:. I had heard other people talk about it, but never seen it myself. I thought, heck, 6+ years no trouble what's the big deal :dunno:. We'll I found out the hard way. When the block failed, the pinon pointed to the sky, & damaged the drive shaft. Luckly, we were able to come up w/ a way to limp home. I swear :lecture: , I will never use blocks on a lift again. I bought a set of RE 4 1/2 springs a buddy had. Repair bill was right at $500. Oh yeah, when I put the spings on, I found that the other block had cracked also :scared: . Go Full AAL & or shackles. Do it right, or be prepared to do it again.

Rob

i have done it all so far aal was a stiff ride , i broke 2 blocks a steel one and an aluminum one ,now i have RE rear springs and all i can say is save for the springs you will be much happier

oh and if you want it right get the whole kit i have spent more piecing together a 6 in kit than it would cost to buy one

maineiac said:
i have done it all so far aal was a stiff ride , i broke 2 blocks a steel one and an aluminum one ,now i have RE rear springs and all i can say is save for the springs you will be much happier

That's why Yucca-Man corrected my first post in this thread. A short AAL rides rather stiffly. A full-length AAL firms up the ride a bit, but I find it rides better than stock with a full-length AAL. Firm but not harsh.

However, ride quality is very subjective, and what's "firm" to me might be "harsh" to you, or "mushy" to my friend Erich.

That's part of it; another reason for clarifying AAL length is that half-length AALs put undue stress at the midpoint of the leaves, which just doesn't seem right...

Back