• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blanket caught in the rear liftgate latch. Now can't open.

YES!! I got it open! Someone on another forum suggested to lift the handle and press DOWN very hard in order to fully close the liftgate. The handle apparently doesn't work if it's only partly latched. I pressed down hard, then I'd turn the key again, and try to open it. I did this a couple of times, and it eventually worked! By pressing down, I somehow got the latch to fully seal, and then pulling up on the handle disengaged it. It seems my latch now sticks, maybe something got knocked out of whack when it jammed, but I'll take it.

Now, I can focus on why I was using the liftgate in the first place! To install the 4 OEM Ecco wheels I just picked up for $150. They have 235's on them. They are significantly more larger than the 225's than I was expecting. 2 tires are toast, and the other two are 7/32 and 9/32. These Ecco's will be a major improvement from my rusted and primered Steelies that will now be replaced.

Kind of like I said on post 3? Push the hatch closed push the button and pull on it... Thought so...

Now, I can focus on why I was using the liftgate in the first place! To install the 4 OEM Ecco wheels I just picked up for $150. They have 235's on them. They are significantly more larger than the 225's than I was expecting. 2 tires are toast, and the other two are 7/32 and 9/32. These Ecco's will be a major improvement from my rusted and primered Steelies that will now be replaced.

great wheel choice, i run eccos on my MJ:

IMG_20120725_120057.jpg

Just for insurance, should other, non troll 5%'ers read this....
Unbolt the rear bumper, then LOOSEN the hatch late plate (two torx's, pointing up behind the rear bumper. This usually gives you enough play to get it unseized.

bimmerjeeper has no chance in hell removing the rear bumper, thats for sure...

This happened to me once. After trying everything I could think of, I concluded that I did not have the special tools or expertise to handle this advanced repair so I took it to a qualified mechanic.

I got an estimate from the dealer and a local shop. Both appeared to be unreasonably expensive. I took it back home and began to research my options. Becareful, there are a lot of self proclaimed experts on the Internet with good intentions, but they simply don't understand the difficulty of this advanced repair.

I eventually succeeded with this repair, it did involve taking a 6 month leave from my "top 5%" career. Start by jacking up the front end, that will help with your leverage angles. Then remove the oil filter adapter and the O2 sensor to reduce the pressure on the hatch, you may need to pull the heater control light bulbs as this will reduce inside cabin temperatures.

Next, be sure your hatch is unlocked. Depress the hatch release button and pull the hatch toward you. (Be careful not to rock the XJ offthe jackstands)

Note: that depending on your blanket, this may require freakishly strong, blue collar grip and strength. You may need to employ a small team of experienced jeep mechanics to get this done.

Most XJ owners would typically consider this to be an advanced, dealer only repair item. Though the costs may be prohibitive and may just warrant parting out your XJ.

win! post of the ****ing century.

This happened to me once. After trying everything I could think of, I concluded that I did not have the special tools or expertise to handle this advanced repair so I took it to a qualified mechanic.

I got an estimate from the dealer and a local shop. Both appeared to be unreasonably expensive. I took it back home and began to research my options. Becareful, there are a lot of self proclaimed experts on the Internet with good intentions, but they simply don't understand the difficulty of this advanced repair.

I eventually succeeded with this repair, it did involve taking a 6 month leave from my "top 5%" career. Start by jacking up the front end, that will help with your leverage angles. Then remove the oil filter adapter and the O2 sensor to reduce the pressure on the hatch, you may need to pull the heater control light bulbs as this will reduce inside cabin temperatures.

Next, be sure your hatch is unlocked. Depress the hatch release button and pull the hatch toward you. (Be careful not to rock the XJ offthe jackstands)

Note: that depending on your blanket, this may require freakishly strong, blue collar grip and strength. You may need to employ a small team of experienced jeep mechanics to get this done.

Most XJ owners would typically consider this to be an advanced, dealer only repair item. Though the costs may be prohibitive and may just warrant parting out your XJ.

You should really charge for this kind of advise! totally plausible and very well explained. LOL :party:

Ah! This was great!

Kind of like I said on post 3? Push the hatch closed push the button and pull on it... Thought so...

There is no button on my XJ, just a handle that flips up like a door handle.
I assumed you were talking about something else.

great wheel choice, i run eccos on my MJ:

Thanks! I was thinking pf painting my rusty Steelies black, but decided to hold out for a set of OEM alloys. I'm glad I waited, and got a great price.

bimmerjeeper has no chance in hell removing the rear bumper, thats for sure...

I agree! I looked up into the bumper from below and saw 2 bolts that looked like the latch bolts, but they were at a weird angle, and partially blocked.
They totally looked like something that you could have major issues trying to reinstall. The rust just made things look even harder. Very glad I didn't have to attempt that.

Last time I had a problem with my liftgate, I just took it to a mechanic and had him swap the whole thing out for liftgate from a X3. It's much easier to work on now.

Mark my words--this thread won't last nine pages!

Wow. I cant believe i read all three pages of this. How hilarious. Bimmer sell your xj and buy a prius with an extended warranty.

Back