• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear Dec

So made it up there (via the 38) , nothing said about chains until I hit a nice ice patch, got sideways, stopped, then noticed a bunch of 2wd cars sprawled accross the road to include some sort of SUV over the side. A small pick up that somehow threw his bead. So I pulled over and aired down to get better traction and just creeped the rest of the way til I got to Fawnskin, seeing plenty of casualties along the way. So long story short 3 jeeps, open difs, snow, no Bull. Made it to the top of Gold Mountain, past the rock garden, which was a blast in the snow (started blizzarding toward the top) then came upon a huge tree that had fallen accross the road. Was friggin' cold, no way around the tree especially without lockers. No one had a winch which may have been able to pull it to the side. So we turned around and made our way back. Still had a good time, I love it when it snows up there.

sounds like fun paul, any pics of the trip? that tree has been there since just before socal fest last may. there is a way around it but its tough to make the turns and i wouldnt want to do it in the snow not knowing whats underneath it lol. sounds like you had a good time tho!

I got a little bit of vid I'll try to get up.

Here some pics I stole from the "other" site.
dsc05353.jpg

Rock Garden
dsc05367.jpg

dsc05379.jpg

dsc05388.jpg

BIG FRIGGIN' TREE:
dsc05398.jpg

Beautiful View:
dsc05418.jpg

Trail Damage (too much flex?):
dsc05408.jpg

Awesome! Nice pics as well. Nothing like wheelin while it's snowing...

So what's the story with the TJ's spring coming out of the bucket? Too much flex and no retainer clip?

rpraterxj said:
Awesome! Nice pics as well. Nothing like wheelin while it's snowing...

So what's the story with the TJ's spring coming out of the bucket? Too much flex and no retainer clip?
yeah, we got him to droop and used a crowbar to pop it back in.

So are you guys still down for the 8th? I would really like to go so please let me know.

nice pics paul, I bet one of my winches would have been handy that day huh :) I'll put a post in the for sale forum, see whos interested. I love snow wheeling, check out our last year mammoth.

huge snow drift across the road on the way up to laurel lakes.

6l9cf14.jpg

well that tree on gold mountain was taken care of

3N69TreeR2.jpg

Kind of OT, but I have a cabin in Green Valley Lake and I'm planning to head up there the weekend of Jan 4-6 (Fri-Sun). One day was going to be devoted to wheeling, and another to trying to learn how to snowboard. HA!

If anyone wants to tag along, you're more than welcome! The cabin is very small, but it can accomodate maybe 5 in beds (2, 2, and 1) plus a couple on the floor by the fireplace. Just shoot me a message and let me know! This is contingent upon me installing my new lift stuff before then, so expect an "install party" post from me in the very near future! :)

Back