• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG MT or PRO COMP MT

passxj said:
If you run on lot's of icy roads, you'll want the MT/R. (if you scare easy) They have much better siping.

Neither the BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain or the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R have any siping at all (unless you add it yourself). However, the tread pattern of the MT/R is tighter, giving you more edges to grab the ice, I suppose.

JonnyK said:
Neither the BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain or the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R have any siping at all (unless you add it yourself). However, the tread pattern of the MT/R is tighter, giving you more edges to grab the ice, I suppose.

Upon looking at a photo of the tread on an MT/R, it looks like I was mistaken. The siping is only on the very edge of the tread.

http://www.discounttire.com/product/tires/gdyvm3.xl.jpg

what about truxus MT 33"s...alway performed nice for me...check out 4wheelparts.com is having $100 on a set of interco tires or $75 off a set of BFG's with free shipping on the bfg's...until 11-30...dont know if that helps or if its really a better deal that way but I though I would pass it on.

I've had all of the tires mentioned in this thread (so far). I would go with the TrXus, then MTR, Pro Comp, yes, I would take them over the BFGs because the sidewalls hold up alot better than the BFGs and I beat the snot out of my tires (I've heard that they're made by Cooper) and in last place......BFG. I've ripped open way, too many BFGs. You might also consider the Kumho Road Venture M/T.... an exceptional tire for the money-------Hans

Oatmeal said:
I've had all of the tires mentioned in this thread (so far). I would go with the TrXus, then MTR, Pro Comp, yes, I would take them over the BFGs because the sidewalls hold up alot better than the BFGs and I beat the snot out of my tires (I've heard that they're made by Cooper) and in last place......BFG. I've ripped open way, too many BFGs. You might also consider the Kumho Road Venture M/T.... an exceptional tire for the money-------Hans

I ran pro craps for a year, then had one blow out on the express way, switched to BFG's held up fine until I sold them.

Alright sorry it took me so long to respond.

origionaly i was going to go with teh trXus MT's but they do not come in 32's.

I am going to be running a RE 3.5 Superflex with full leaf packs so for everyone who said go with the 33's do you think that I am going to have problems with clearance in the wheel well? I am going to trim also

A lot of people run 3.5" and 33's.

Mild trimming may be required, but thats not as scary as it sounds.

BRIANHO13 said:
I ran pro craps for a year, then had one blow out on the express way, switched to BFG's held up fine until I sold them.
Did it just spontaneously blow out? I had a blowout with a 35" TrXus at 65mph on the freeway.....that happens when you hit something at that speed and it takes out the sidewall..........I'm sure there's more to the story. -------Hans

BFG only have a 9 mm sidewall thickness and the MTR's have 11 mm. That is 22% extra but they need to be lowered more in air pressure to work in mud. They are better on road in the wet due to the silicon in the rubber than the BFG. Another worth looking at is the new MTZ's
24305.jpg

Oatmeal said:
Did it just spontaneously blow out? I had a blowout with a 35" TrXus at 65mph on the freeway.....that happens when you hit something at that speed and it takes out the sidewall..........I'm sure there's more to the story. -------Hans

Just driving down the road, hit nothing and heard this sound like a big balloon letting out all its air. Big chunk of side wall just un wrapped. I will post a pic tomorrow.

So running 33's on 3.5" lift is not a problem? (with some triming of course) Wont this limit the travel of the suspension off road? It seems that the bigger the tire the less flex you have before your wheel is stuffed in your wheel well.

Also with the trXus mt's. I have heard that they are heavy tires. I will not be regearing when I put the lift and new wheels/tires on (at least for some time until money/time is available). How big of a problem is this? Heavy tires = more stress?

I had a set of Procomp MT radials(31x10.5R15) that I picked up for the price of the rims they were on and I never had a lick of problems with them. Just really noisey and a pain to balance, but they held up fine in the rocks. I would recommend them and purchase them new if the price was right.

XJiggy said:
that still doesnt really answer my question. what about the weight and the garing etc?

Are they heavy? Yes. Your braking suffers, your acceleration suffers, performance suffers all round, but is it any more noticable than another tire of the same size on stock gearing? I don't think so.

I ran 3.55s stock gearing for almost a year before I regeared on my MTs and yeah, it was a gutless wonder but I really don't think it had as much to do with the tires than it did with the gear ratios.

I say if you can find some cheap Procomp MTs, BUY'em.

just picked up a set of 32 in procomp mts and rockcrawler rims for 900 mounted, balanced and shiped. Found that deal from an ebay store then called 4wheelparts and they honered the price. U are gonna have to do some trimming, I have 4.5 inches and the rears rub at full stuff, I think the fronts will to but I havent pulled the discos yet.

Back