• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best winch!?

thanks for all your opinions guys, i think it'll either be the XRC8000 by smittybilt or a milemarker.....i really didnt wana go $500+ which im sure those Warns are worth it, its my daily driver and weekend wheeler, it prolly wont be used too much other than saving myself or a buddys jeep.

what price do the ramseys go for? (8000lb)

I use my Smittybilt VERY frequently. It's the SLOWEST damn winch I have ever seen! Takes FOREVER!
That is true; spooling the cable back in sucks, but it was worth it for the price and it still gets me out. I bought synthetic line at the same time. Got the winch with synthetic line for $650 shipped.

I use my Smittybilt VERY frequently. It's the SLOWEST damn winch I have ever seen! Takes FOREVER!
To be fair though, your not running the newer series wound motor winch. Its a lot faster!!

I have owned an early Mile Marker E8000, 2 HF Winches, an XRC8, and there is a Warn 8000K winch that came with the Jeep. The Early MM and HF winches are slooooow, but were dependable. I broke the housing on the MM, but that was just operator error. The rest of the winches were sold with what they were attached to.
The XRC8 worked, but I had trouble free spooling it. That said, it had a great recovery speed for a cheap winch.

The Warn that is on the Jeep seems to work great. Free spools easy, fast recovery speed under no load to haul in line, and good pull. So far it's my favorite :D

The free spool issue is why my winch got pulled apart before being sold to me - they use some really heavy grease and it apparently drags onthings a lot. Disassemble and apply better grease and the issue apparently goes away. I might get around to doing this in a year or two.

Time to fess up.

How many people besides myself have been guilty of carrying a wheel chock for those situations?

My stick shift trucks never had a good parking brake, and I had to leave the engine running for fear of not starting.
:wave:

I have to use a 6 ton jackstand as the wheel chock for my 5 ton because I never know if the parking brake is gonna work that day or not. I need a new cable and shoes for it, would have bought them a long time ago but that's about $300 in parts.

I LOVE my old warn 8274.. got it on the cheap cleaned it up repainted it and put a synthetic line on it .. its Super reliable it was in POOR shape and ran like a champ even before it was restored..

and its an old JEEP special equipment one.. so it has a cool jeep sticker on it (i know .who cares)
But its got plenty o power for me and i never worry about it working (cause it does)

*edit* between me and the old man weeve owned 2 ramseys (o.k.) and 3 random cheapies after the ramseys quit.. what i had was the cheap ones lasted us about as lomng as the dang ramsey.. so we decided they really only last a few years so just buy cheapies... next step was a good deal on a used Warn that wasnt running because someone took it apart to "fix" it im shure and put bolts back in wrong place where one was too long and prevented gears from turniong so they thought it was froze.. all i did was move that bolt to proper location and bam an up to 30? year old winch running STRONG.. i was sold on the spot and immediately searched for a rebuild thread.. if it ever breaks its getting rebuilt.. (warn by the way has incredible cust service and parts STILL ON THIS MODEL )

Last edited:
Time to fess up.

How many people besides myself have been guilty of carrying a wheel chock for those situations?

My stick shift trucks never had a good parking brake, and I had to leave the engine running for fear of not starting.

I've had to chock the wheels, but only because standing on the service brakes resulted in me just dragging he Jeep across the asphalt with all four tires locked up.
Like I said, EP 9000 FTW, strong enough to drag me across pavement anyway.

To be fair though, your not running the newer series wound motor winch. Its a lot faster!!

This is VERY true. I had one of the original Smitty's and it was STUPID slow, but the other two smitty's I have had/have were the newer model, and was much faster on line speed.

The orginal motor crapped on my first smitty, the magnets came loose and then got crushed pretty bad inside the can. I was going to replace the motor, and was quoted $305 for a new one... A whole new winch was only $295. Bought it, used it a little, gave it to my dad, got another one, and they both are still in use.

All that being said, it doesnt hold a candle to my 8274.

~ Stump

The m8000 is built in the same Oregon assembly plant that produces all of their high end winches.

I've heard good things about the smittybilt's, but the hardware likes to rust.

If I had 500 to spend, I'd go Warn.
x2..

$500 buys you something FAR superior to the Chinese made crap.. Everyone is all for tooting the "Made in america" horn.. until its time to actually spend their own money.. This isnt a debate on where toyota's or kia's are made. Flat out i do whatever i can to support what few factorys we have left here. When Optima left the states, I made sure to replace my battery with an orbital.. when it was time to buy a winch, I bought American.. Warn!

i picked up an offroad winch bumper and im trying to decide which winch to put on it. i dont want anything crazy, just something along the lines of a 8000lb. ($299 price range)

i just came upon rough countrys 9500lb for $299 but it doesnt seem to be a brand name of any sort. let me know what you guys think

http://roughcountry.com/winches/electric-winch_rs9500.html

i just dont want to cheap out and later on get hurt or killed after trying to winch a buddy out and have the line snap or something like that....

what do you guys have??
dude the new smittybilt x20 8000 is waterproof and only 399$

I have a WARN XD9000i that I bought for $50, I rebuilt it for another $50. Its fast and reliable (now)

My favorite winch is the 8274 but good luck finding one cheap unless you get it from someone who has no idea what they have.

I am new to this site and cannot for the life of me figure out how to post a new thread. can anyone help me?

startthread.jpg

sorry im not very good in MS paint lol

startthread.jpg

sorry im not very good in MS paint lol

ROFL I almost busted out laughing at work.

I know some people have had good experience with Mile marker but I bought my 12k and it died on the second pull. I had no waranty because I was stationed in Germany when I bought it. Now I have a dead winch. I bought relays but it still didn't work, mile marker wanted 220$ for the relays! (I found them for 15 EA somewhere else).

I'll probably end up getting a Warn so I never have this problem again.

ROFL I almost busted out laughing at work.

I know some people have had good experience with Mile marker but I bought my 12k and it died on the second pull. I had no waranty because I was stationed in Germany when I bought it. Now I have a dead winch. I bought relays but it still didn't work, mile marker wanted 220$ for the relays! (I found them for 15 EA somewhere else).

I'll probably end up getting a Warn so I never have this problem again.

I "almost" will guarantee that the connections to the stator have pulled apart inside the motor case where the battery connections go through the case. I had to fix mine on the WARN after the original owner replaced the solenoid pack and overtightned and twisted off the positive connection inside the case. It was a $0 fix and the winch has been nothing but stellar since!

Time to fess up.

I found an actual wheel chock in a parking lot one day, and now it gets used almost all the time since I don't trust the 5 speed and the e brake never got hooked up after the 8.8 swap.

Back