• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best value 12 volt air compressor

Folks seem to have pretty good luck with this one.?. No personal experience since I usually go with a York OBA. But this seems to get pretty decent reviews for a relatively cheap plug and play compressor.

attachment.php

I paid like $18 to fill up my 10 lb. CO2 bottle. So CO2 is more like the WORST value. As long as you have it, you'll be paying money.

Folks seem to have pretty good luck with this one.?. No personal experience since I usually go with a York OBA. But this seems to get pretty decent reviews for a relatively cheap plug and play compressor.

attachment.php

I've had this model for about 6 years now. It has changed packaging over the years, but it is essentially the same compressor.

It can air up a 33 from 6 lbs to 35lbs in about 4 minutes. Its a good all around compressor.

I have had to change the rubber feet out, and I replaced the fuse, but it just keeps going.

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

YMMV,
John

x2

I paid like $18 to fill up my 10 lb. CO2 bottle. So CO2 is more like the WORST value. As long as you have it, you'll be paying money.

yea, but its worth the money. and it lasts a pretty long time.

It can air up a 33 from 6 lbs to 35lbs in about 4 minutes. Its a good all around compressor.

i can air up four 33s from 6 to 35lbs in less than 4 minutes. thats why C02 is worth the money.

c02 is great, airs up tires quick & can run a impact however it gives no indication when itll run out (unless you weigh the bottle) so hope to god it doesnt go when you need it the most. only sure way to go is carry a 2nd bottle around.

I bought a Puma 12v 3/4hp comp off ebay for $230 shipped. rated for 3.4cfm @ 90psi. I added a 10gallon tank to it & have no problem changing tires, u-bolts etc. Never timed how long it takes to air up my 35s but doesnt seem to take too long.

i can air up four 33s from 6 to 35lbs in less than 4 minutes. thats why C02 is worth the money.

Factoring in the cost of the tank and associated hardware, the MV-50 is the budget friendly choice for many.

Ok so my next question. I have a functioning compressor, tank, and some line. I was looking at the cost for all the fittings/pressure switch and I thought that would be close to $100. Has anyone set up on board air recently? And how much did it cost? Doing the rubicon in two weeks and I did not know if I would have time/money to put all the pieces together for the on board air.

5G25S05J73M13Jc3N8c6e775d7bc763e611b8.jpg
5Id5T55Hb3Ef3K73Iec6e2cba1360d80518d5.jpg

I made this set up over 10 years ago.......

Portable air tank held in with ratchet strap on factory spare tire mounts, I would use the cheapie 150 psi plastic 20 dollar compressors and gut them, mount to the handle with large hose clamps and plumb with brass fittings keeping the tank pressure relief valve system intact..... it would take foreever to fill tank, but once filled at 100 psi you could fill up 4x 31 inch tires from 18 to 32 psi pretty quick, just used the cig lighter plug and cord that came with the plastic cheap compressors........Later I added the Quick Air 2 I got in a trade and works on 35's better I have been running awhile...... Fused and hard wired from the battery and switch and relay on the compressor itself..........

The old Quick Air 2 is giving up the ghost, took it apart and has armature problems..... Oh well, cant get parts, long out of business........

Its all about price how fast you want to air up, VAIR is what my buddies use on thier bagged show trucks, and those pump some air, but 300 bucks plus for a compressor depending on size.... I am a cheap , so most likely gonna get the largest Harbor Frieght 12 volt compressor with my 20% off coupon would be 44 bucks plus tax and another 5 bucks for extended warranty, it wont be fast, but it will do what its supposed to for cheap, just cant let it over duty cycle to long., wont mod it so it cant be put back to stock for warranty purposes and mount where the Quick Air 2 is.... If you use air all the time, get a good compressor, I dont use or air down much these days, more for piece of mind.........

Even the large HF compressor will peak a good 30 amps when it starts, need to not skimp on wiring like I did, I am using a wire harness out of a wheel chair lift set up for a van I pulled years ago,needs to be larger wire, another to do on my list to upgrade wiring to the new compressor I get, at least 8gauge but 4 gauge would be better........

Also CO2 is great for airing up tires, my buddie runs a paintball field and made an adaptor for standard paintball tank threads from an inexpensive fill station and some brass fittings..... a 20 OZ CO2 paintball tank will fill a few flat tires... I was amazed, he uses it on all the flat tires on the field cars........Full Paintball CO2 tanks are even at Walmart now last few years......

100_0763.JPG

I made this set up over 10 years ago.......

Portable air tank held in with ratchet strap on factory spare tire mounts, I would use the cheapie 150 psi plastic 20 dollar compressors and gut them, mount to the handle with large hose clamps and plumb with brass fittings keeping the tank pressure relief valve system intact..... it would take foreever to fill tank, but once filled at 100 psi you could fill up 4x 31 inch tires from 18 to 32 psi pretty quick, just used the cig lighter plug and cord that came with the plastic cheap compressors........Later I added the Quick Air 2 and plate to tank handle to mount it,I got it in a trade and works on 35's better I have been running awhile...... Fused and hard wired from the battery and switch and relay on the compressor itself..........

The old Quick Air 2 is giving up the ghost, took it apart and has armature problems..... Oh well, cant get parts, long out of business........

Its all about price how fast you want to air up, VAIR is what my buddies use on thier bagged show trucks, and those pump some air, but 300 bucks plus for a compressor depending on size.... I am a cheap , so most likely gonna get the largest Harbor Frieght 12 volt compressor with my 20% off coupon would be 44 bucks plus tax and another 5 bucks for extended warranty, it wont be fast, but it will do what its supposed to for cheap, just cant let it over duty cycle to long., wont mod it so it cant be put back to stock for warranty purposes and mount where the Quick Air 2 is.... If you use air all the time, get a good compressor, I dont use or air down much these days, more for piece of mind.........

Even the large HF compressor will peak a good 30 amps when it starts, need to not skimp on wiring like I did, I am using a wire harness out of a wheel chair lift set up for a van I pulled years ago,needs to be larger wire, another to do on my list to upgrade wiring to the new compressor I get, at least 8gauge but 4 gauge would be better........

Also CO2 is great for airing up tires, my buddie runs a paintball field and made an adaptor for standard paintball tank threads from an inexpensive fill station and some brass fittings..... a 20 OZ CO2 paintball tank will fill a few flat tires... I was amazed, he uses it on all the flat tires on the field cars........Full Paintball CO2 tanks are even at Walmart now last few years......

100_0763.JPG

I'm using this one: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-PowerSp...40045377&sr=1-6&keywords=slime+air+compressor

It's done great for me - and you can connect it to your battery. I've used this twice on the trail to repair tire punctures (tires weren't that great). Are there better ones out there? Yes - this thread lists a few of them. But, both times I used it, it filled my 15's from from empty (the tires leaked over night and were deflated by the next morning). I was able to repair the whole and inflate it without any issues. If I didn't have this kit, I would have been up a creek!

Back