• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery a bit low.

Your very first post in this thread stated your battery voltage was "about 12 volts"---"which always in the past has been 13-14 volts". and again--"today I used a multimeter--and it measured 12.3 volts". Your first choice is a discharged battery, which requires an answere as to why? Latter you stated you measured 13.8 volts with engine running; this is normal and indicates your charging system is functioning properly. Then you stated that the voltage fell to 12.5 volts very quickly. 12.5 volts indicates a good battery that's not fully charged, or an old battery on its way out. As I suggested earlier, fully charge the battery, disconnect for the night and test its voltage in the morning. A level less than 12.5v would tell you your battery is bad (can't hold a charge); 12.5 volts equals "tired" battery, on its way out, and 12.6 equals normal, not new battery. The last thing you want to is to hit your starter motor with a hammer. There are non-destructive ways to test a starter motor.

Remote administration is a PITA. How can we troubleshoot this when our onsite guy is off checking the hardware? Damned computers! I hope he can get the hardware fixed otherwise we'll have to start checking the wires again. Damned physical layer!

Jeepsrock,

1) Let us know if the starter passes the bench test at NAPA. If they don't have one go somewhere that does.

2)Let us know the results of the battery specific gravity test. Record the results for each cell.

With the above info we may be able to help you pinpoint the problem. No sense in buying the wrong thing if you don't need it. Lets find out exactly what ya need. We'll all be here to troubleshoot it for ya when you get er done. I know our onsite guy Jeepsrock rocks! Get er done amigo! :roll::roll::roll::roflmao::wave1:

Here is an update-- I removed the starter and took it to a local starter/alternator shop who said would inspect it and let me know (i got their close to closing time). Today i called him and he said the solenoid was bad aswell as the brushes /contacts were worn down..He charged me 65$ to rebuild it including a new solenoid. I picked it up this morning and it looked literally brand new...i was pretty wowed at this guys work. I installed it and the jeep started right up faster than it has ever since i had it.

Additionally I have been monitored the battery voltage using my DVM while the jeeps leads where disconnected ,and it seems to vary in between 12.45-12.6V depending on weather and time i check it, so for a sec lets assume the battery is ok and see what happens.

Thoughts ?
pete

Sounds like you got er done! The battery voltage seems up to par. If you are a curious guy like I am I'd recommend doing the test with the battery hydrometer. That will tell you how good shape that battery is. I hate surprises although carrying jumper cable is just as easy.

Back