• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle turned left, but pulls right

dirt machine

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. Posted this on jeep forum but didn't get any answers. Here it goes:

1. Jeep pulls right after 2 alignments.
2. Wheelbase is .5" shorter on LEFT side.
3. Rear axle is straight.
4. LCAs have .5" of shim on both sides.
5. VERY loose steering.
6. Sway Bar hits spring on right side.
7. I think it was in an accident at some point, but I don't really care if "the accident is the problem," because I want it fixed.
8. Turn wheels all the way, and one tire is at 40 degrees and other is more like 35 or 30. Obvious that they're not parallel.
9. Tires are brand new, wheels are brand new.
10. Have not looked into tie rod ends, ball joints, or anything else, because I don't know how. Ball joints are play when wheel is wiggled up and down, but so is king pin? And steering linkage is side-to-side play, but so is Tie rod ends?

Please assist me in diagnosing this problem. Also, someone told me to get new u-joints, I don't know if I should get them on the axles or what, or why?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

-D

Also, if I hold the wheel straight, it pulls REALLY BAD to the right. I need to actually XXXX the wheel 10 degrees to the left to get it to go straight.

I would talk with your alignment technician and discuss your problem with him directly. He may be able to find something wrong in the numbers. If you are taking your XJ to a reputable shop then the technician would have checked for loose or damaged parts such as all of your tie rods and ball joints and other suspension components. Right now your align. tech is your best bet. Good luck.

When you turn the wheels left or right one will turn more than the others.. called 'toe out on turns'.

I just lifted my 1990 limited and the sway bar touches the spring on the right.. but I don't have an alignment problem.. so that may not be part of it..

Is the jeep lifted?

Yes this is definitely something you need to discuss with the shop that did the alignment. It sounds like the car was hit, and something is bent somehwere, which probably makes a proper alignment impossible without more extensive repairs. It would be impossible to diagnose over the internet.

The alignment shop said that the pull was:

"partially due to the lift, and mainly that the tires were out of balance."

But rotating the tires did nothing.

Also, can someone please clarify how to check all the various steering and front end stuff, like ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, etc? Thanks.

explaining how to check ball joints on here is difficult at best. if you had it aligned, they should have checked all that for you.

Pulling: you should look at the brakes too. a seized caliper, caliper slides or a bad brake hose can cause a pull.

The alignment shop told you an out of balance tire caused it to pull? Your steering is very loose and your wheelbase is off by a half inch, but they went ahead and blamed the lift? You need a mechanic, not an automotive chiropracter. In short...Dude, you need a new alignment shop.

Back