• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 without comp

woody said:
With this setup, Put the lever in 1-2 and I can start off in 1st or 2nd, and hold those gears, plus select 1st with TC lockup for steep trail decents. With the lever in D I can downshift from 4th to 3rd on uphills with no throttle-induced kickdown, Hold 3rd if need be, and get TC lockup at any RPM I want it.

*I "DO" have a TCU though (89 model with seperate TCU), but I don't see why one couldn't just wire up the switches to manually control any AW4. I 'don't' think the momentary switches mentioned in the posts above will get it...the rotary might, but still require some shift lever input.

I have read that article, and I'm well aware that you can do it cheaper and easier the way you have described. But you are still having to think about 2 things to shift, the lever and the switch. How do you switch from 3rd to 2nd? You have to simultaneously flip the switch and drop the lever, if you do the switch slightly before the lever you will go to 4th, if you do the lever slightly before the switch you will go to 1st...

Yes it's a little more complicated to make, and costs more in materials, but with the method I've come up with you start your Jeep, throw the lever into "D" and then you don't touch the lever again until you want to put it in Park or Neutral. All the shifting is done with simple taps of 4 buttons, with a toggle for TC lock. In my mind this requires the least amount of thinking and effort once you are driving.

Imagine if you didn't also have a computer, would you feel comfortable with someone else driving your Jeep using the lever and switch method? I wouldn't, that would be a lot to exlpain, remember and do for someone that doesn't know the system. With my method, anyone can drive it, it's very easy to understand, you just tell them "drop the lever into Drive, then push the buttons 1,2,3, and 4 for those gears"

I like Mad's thinking.. I will be swapping in an Aw4 without the TCU. My rig is trail only so I'm not to worried about getting higher than 2nd gear. But it would be nice
for the Race back to camp.. I also thing a digital indicator telling what gear you were in would be sweet.. But I am sure that will double the cost of parts and make the install more complicated.. That writeup is very detailed and I was pleased to read it. Thaks for sharing the great info..

mad maXJ said:
you are correct, there are only 3 solenoids on the tranny

2 of them control gear selection via different on-off combinations, and the third is a simple on-off for the torque convertor

however, I have figured out the simplest way to do pushbutton gear selection and it still uses multiple relays and diodes.

for the 2 for gear selection, yes you could wire in just 2 toggle switches, but you would have to remember which one goes up and which goes down or both up or both down for each gear, and then you would also have to switch them perfectly simultaneously. this requires way too much thinkin and effort. I want 4 buttons, where I tap "1" and it goes to first gear, etc.

I am thinking about also figuring out how to do it with just an upshift and downshift button (and 3rd for TC lock), but that may get confusing without some sort of indicator light telling you what gear you're in, which requires another couple components....

so would people rather have 1,2,3,4,TC Lock -or- Upshift, Downshift, TC Lock ?

you don't have to switch anything simultaneously, they use grey code (only one state change between gears)

Code:
gear sol1 sol2
  1    1    0
  2    1    1
  3    0    1
  4    0    0

once you memorize the sequence, you can shift REALLY fast, and not even think about it.

also... I've been in the process of designing an EASILY constructible discrete-logic "tiptronic" controller for the AW4.

using momentary switches, it'll offer full control of the aw4's gear ranges in a click up/click down fashion (I'm trying to modify the XJ's stock floor shifter so that I can pull it into drive, flip a switch and rock it side to side to upshift/downshift)

the project has been put on hold for a while, simply because I've been so damn busy with school/work/trying to make ends meet so NOTHING has happened.

the sad thing is, right now, I need to be to class in four hours, and I haven't even slept yet :(

taking a break from an 8085 assembly assignment.

Frank Swygert on the Strokers Yahoo group uses a rotary switch. With that you don't even need to look at the switch to shift, as you would with multiple push buttons. Clockwise for upshift, counter-clockwise for downshift.

The torque converter lockup could be an additional position after 4th gear, or it could be a separate toggle switch.

This is gold:

http://www.wagoneers.com/XJ/tech/AW4-trans/

Check out the rest of that site, it has incredible amounts of invaluable technical information about the XJ.

I want a five step "slider" switch, with the fifth being auto, as in the computer takes over. One down, you're in fourth. One separate on/off switch for lockup. I thought it would work to just solder wires on each of the steps on the switch to provide current to the combination of relays setting that gear, and either all except the auto setting would cut the power to the computer, or if it doesn't like to be turned suddenly on and off all the time, cutting the signals from the computer to the transmission in all except auto modes. Simple, the only problem as I see it is to find a switch that is big enough and of good enough quality to enable accurate shifting when the XJ is jumping around... Haven't thought it all through yet though, don't know if it will work.

AZXJ said:
When you find that table would you please pass it on to me.

Thanks
[email protected]

I am also Interested, I thought I had the page bookmarked, but now I cant find It, and I don't wanna be wiring up my relays in the wrong order!~

CheapXJ said:
you don't have to switch anything simultaneously, they use grey code (only one state change between gears)

Code:
gear sol1 sol2
  1    1    0
  2    1    1
  3    0    1
  4    0    0

once you memorize the sequence, you can shift REALLY fast, and not even think about it.

Yes, you are correct, but you have to memorize the pattern. "now was 2nd gear 1 up and 2 down, or 2 up and 1 down?" Would you let your girlfriend drive THAT (or just about anyone else)?

CheapXJ said:
also... I've been in the process of designing an EASILY constructible discrete-logic "tiptronic" controller for the AW4.

using momentary switches, it'll offer full control of the aw4's gear ranges in a click up/click down fashion (I'm trying to modify the XJ's stock floor shifter so that I can pull it into drive, flip a switch and rock it side to side to upshift/downshift)

the project has been put on hold for a while, simply because I've been so damn busy with school/work/trying to make ends meet so NOTHING has happened.

the sad thing is, right now, I need to be to class in four hours, and I haven't even slept yet :(

taking a break from an 8085 assembly assignment.

This is something I also considered, an upshift and downshift button with 4 LEDs indicating what gear you are in. It's probably the same difficulty as the 4 pushbuttons, maybe a little more with the lights, but for some reason I would rather have 4 pushbuttons.

Eagle said:
Frank Swygert on the Strokers Yahoo group uses a rotary switch. With that you don't even need to look at the switch to shift, as you would with multiple push buttons. Clockwise for upshift, counter-clockwise for downshift.

The torque converter lockup could be an additional position after 4th gear, or it could be a separate toggle switch.

Another thing I have seriously considered. A rotary switch would be the easiest and cheapest, but between a dozen or so industrial supply catalogs and electronics catalogs and webpages, I can't find a good stinkin 4 or 5 position rotary switch! frustrating... they're all 6 or 8 which would be annoying to have a bunch of pointless positions.

also, I would definitely have the TC lock still be a seperate switch so that you can lock it in any gear, not just 4th. with the computer controlling things, the TC locks up often in 3rd gear also. this would also give you the ability to have compression braking when wheeling in 4lo. ( though I'm not sure the effects that would have on the tranny )

Amund2 said:
This is gold:

http://www.wagoneers.com/XJ/tech/AW4-trans/

Check out the rest of that site, it has incredible amounts of invaluable technical information about the XJ.

I want a five step "slider" switch, with the fifth being auto, as in the computer takes over. One down, you're in fourth. One separate on/off switch for lockup. I thought it would work to just solder wires on each of the steps on the switch to provide current to the combination of relays setting that gear, and either all except the auto setting would cut the power to the computer, or if it doesn't like to be turned suddenly on and off all the time, cutting the signals from the computer to the transmission in all except auto modes. Simple, the only problem as I see it is to find a switch that is big enough and of good enough quality to enable accurate shifting when the XJ is jumping around... Haven't thought it all through yet though, don't know if it will work.

Good luck finding that switch! I have looked in dozens of places, see above post, for such a switch, straight or rotary, with no luck. If you do find one, please be sure to share a link or supplier info with the rest of us.

mad maXJ said:
Yes, you are correct, but you have to memorize the pattern. "now was 2nd gear 1 up and 2 down, or 2 up and 1 down?" Would you let your girlfriend drive THAT (or just about anyone else)?
umm...

my junk doesn't see the street anymore ;)

mad maXJ said:
Good luck finding that switch! I have looked in dozens of places, see above post, for such a switch, straight or rotary, with no luck. If you do find one, please be sure to share a link or supplier info with the rest of us.

Well, if you find a 6 step switch I'm sure one could just block off the sixth step, or in the worst case make the two last steps do the same... ? But I admit I haven't started looking yet, I don't even know where to look. :paperwork

Feel free to supply me with some links as well, if you find something almost-good-but-6-step :) I'm sure I could use it. I've thought of picking something off an old stereo or something, found some multiple step switches there, but they are all way to small to be operated properly while driving... ("whoops, there we went from 4th to 1st in one millisecond with the TC locked up" <- must be painful)

Get a catalogue from Allied Electronics (www.alliedelec.com) - it's free and they've got a lot of good stuff...

I'd use a 5-pos or 6-pos anyhow, and set it up (with a 3-deck or 4-deck) so that 1-4 were manual control, and anything after that was automatic. The extra deck (use deck 1 for SOL1, deck 2 for SOL2) would be to turn the TCU on and off. A little soldering would handle all the logic switching, and you could even go so far as to use the fourth deck on the rotary switch to drive a pilot for 1-2-3-4-D to help you keep track. Simultaneous switching would no longer be an issue - everything would switch all at once.

Other good catalogues for XJ'ers....

Mouser Electronics
American Science & Surplus
MSC Direct
Rutland-Airgas
Fastenal
Aircraft Spruce & Specialty
Small Parts, Inc.
Waytek, Inc.
McMaster-Carr (difficult to get, but well worth it!)

I could go on, but those are the ones that get the most use. All have been free, and the only one difficult to update is McM-C, but getting a new one every four or five years is enough...

5-90

AZXJ said:
Eagle,

I'm runnig a 5 spd now and want to swap to an auto. I can score a good Aw4 for a great price and the comp doesn't come with it.. Thanks for the help..

If you are still looking for an AW4 I have one that needs a minor rebuild. I have the peugot trans in my 87 and it went into detent lockout this weekend. I am looking for an AX15. I am willing to trade off the AW4 w/242tc. You wouldn't happen to know any one that would do a trade. Or partial trade.

What's your idea of a minor rebuild?? The one I can score has already been rebuilt.. and my Ax15 has 260 thousand miles on it... :wierd:

Thanks for the great conversation about a swap that is coming up for me.
Has anyone used the joystick controller?
Is this used in place of a TCU?
If so, then I will most likely order one and go ahead with my swap.
Thanks for any info!

I know this an old thread. I just added an 89 XJ to my collection with tranny problems. I want to add the manual shift switches to try and diag the problem. My question is which wire / color wire goes to which solenoid?

Any input would be awesome...

Damn AWShifting.com seems to have been shut down

Back